Crush resistance

Thorfun

hello boffins,

I'm hoping someone much cleverer than me can answer me what a value of 1000N/10 cm of crush resistance equates to? i.e. if a cable with that crush resistance was buried in the ground (clay) how far down would it need to be to not be subjected to that level of force?

18 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

hello boffins,

I'm hoping someone much cleverer than me can answer me what a value of 1000N/10 cm of crush resistance equates to? i.e. if a cable with that crush resistance was buried in the ground (clay) how far down would it need to be to not be subjected to that level of force?

1000N/10cm is 10N/1mm (sounds more butch over 10cm don't it). So you're looking at a point load of just over 1kg. Interesting but no answer to your question - which needs augmenting with the mass of the load, and the area it acts over. It could support any load you can dream of - if deep enough.

Or maybe you mean the load is just the weight of the clay above? I doubt that's what you mean.

(Oops, should have made that a 10kg point load)

Edited by Radian

5 minutes ago, Radian said:

1000N/10cm is 10N/1mm (sounds more butch over 10cm don't it). So you're looking at a point load of just over 1kg. Interesting but no answer to your question - which needs augmenting with the mass of the load, and the area it acts over. It could support any load you can dream of - if deep enough.

Or maybe you mean the load is just the weight of the clay above? I doubt that's what you mean.

so, I want to bury PE sheathed Cat6a cable (labelled as direct burial but can anyone blindly believe that). I am just wondering if it's worth spending £80 to 'protect' it in ducting from being crushed or if it will be ok direct buried? it will be about 500mm - 600mm below ground level and be buried under clay.

From the reading I've done PE sheathing is suitable for direct burial but I wondered if there was actual science and physics calculations to check at what point in depth the crush rating is exceeded!

Sorry if I alarmed you as I just spotted I should have made that a 10kg point load (now edited). Clay is liable to heave but it depends on what other structures may be present/crossing the cable. The crush rating could be exceeded at any depth by a suitably massive load above, so it's a bit of a 'how long is a piece of string' question - without saying something like 'to withstand vehicles parking on it', or 'foot traffic', or 'just to support the clay above'.

I used this solid DNO duct. The SWA runs in that. Then I've 20mm flex conduits within that with the Cat-5, screened flex etc in.

Think this was a tenner win on eBay. Add the petrol picking it up from Esher 😂

IMG_20201024_114831623.thumb.jpg.2cedf132c7eff7cd6f1fe56df85502ed.jpg.577ca549bc0525a74231f1b6b8e2681d.jpg

Edited by Onoff

50 minutes ago, Radian said:

Sorry if I alarmed you as I just spotted I should have made that a 10kg point load (now edited). Clay is liable to heave but it depends on what other structures may be present/crossing the cable. The crush rating could be exceeded at any depth by a suitably massive load above, so it's a bit of a 'how long is a piece of string' question - without saying something like 'to withstand vehicles parking on it', or 'foot traffic', or 'just to support the clay above'.

it will eventually be under a patio. so I guess there'll be hardcore compacted with a whacker plate at some point and after that it'll just be foot traffic. I wonder then if the question should what depth of clay is required to allow the crush rating to not be exceeding by a load of value x? I'm surprised there isn't some formula to calculate that sort of thing? isn't that what structural engineers do?

57 minutes ago, ProDave said:

If it says suitable for direct burying it will be.

and I want to believe the blurb! fyi this is the cable I've bought. I was just hoping that maths could give me more assurance than marketing material. 

50 minutes ago, ProDave said:

What ducting will do for you, is enable you to replace it for a different type of cable when the "next thing" comes along.

yeah, I get this, but the network cable is basically just going to end up at the chicken house for a PoE CCTV camera along with a 6mm SWA cable which I won't be running in ducting as our sparky says it's not worth it. which I agree with as SWA is fine buried! so I doubt I'll ever need to upgrade the network cable. I'm more concerned with potential damage as to dig it up to repair would be tricky. maybe I should've just forked out for the SWA Cat6 cable but it was double the price!

8 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I used this solid DNO duct. The SWA runs in that. Then I've 20mm flex conduits within that with the Cat-5, screened flex etc in.

I'm thinking of 40mm twin-wall ducting run alongside the SWA 6mm 3-core cable to run the Cat6a cable in. but, as @ProDave says, it says direct burial so maybe I should save myself the £80 and not be so paranoid and just bury the cable. 

30 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

I'm thinking of 40mm twin-wall ducting run alongside the SWA 6mm 3-core cable to run the Cat6a cable in. but, as @ProDave says, it says direct burial so maybe I should save myself the £80 and not be so paranoid and just bury the cable. 

@ProDave went on to say that a duct will future proof the install. 

Edited by Onoff
  • Like 1

ok, ok. you all win. I will disregard the crush resistance and run both the SWA 6mm 3-core and the PE sheathed Cat6a U/FTP cable in a 63mm duct and be dammed about the cost and the ramifications that might ensue!

(can you tell that my funds are running out?)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TonyT said:

Good shout 

now I've just got to figure out how to get 2 x 63mm twinwall + 1 x 54mm  rigid  duct through a 150mm duct in to the basement! I'm thinking a nice 3D printed Y-branch should do the trick and I can put the 2 x 63mm twinwalls into the Y-branch and then I can fit them through the duct in to the basement.

nothing is easy is it?

hope you're all happy now! 😂

IMG_4294.jpeg.e02743c478e62a27dd58588cd09700ef.jpeg

IMG_4301.jpeg.0ec6fcd8524ae392fa9e0af1293bb438.jpeg

it's like modern art.

currently 3D printing a bespoke reducing funnel to accept 5 ducts (these 4 x 63mm twinwalls plus another 54mm rigiduct) to allow the cables to feed through a 110mm twinwall duct going through to my basement. it's going to take a while to finish!

image.thumb.png.70ee0c82259230801dd9227d8aa3888f.png

image.jpeg.d7197ef2c0b46cb19299c163b6ad39a7.jpeg

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Radian said:

I bet you'll sleep better for having done it in conduit 😇

yeah. it was great advice and I'm much happier now. it was just the thought of having to dig up the SWA cable after partially filling it in and then digging a wider trench to accommodate the ducts that was putting me off. so much to do and so little time! but I now have the option of running more cable in the future if needed which is much better.

I also think I learnt something about crush resistance but I'm sure that'll be forgotten by tomorrow when I've moved on to the next problem that needs resolving!