Giving the neighbours some

SteamyTea

Imagine you live in a terrace, a 3 doors away they are on the same electrical phase.

So your PV us generating nicely and your load sensor sends the spare to your 3 kW immersion heater. All good, little goes out if the house.

Then your same phase neighbour turns on a big load, say 6 kW.

Will this force your diverter to get confused and make you export to your neighbours?

Or are the local wires fat enough to not cause enough of a local voltage drop?

What happens if you don't have a diverter and just use a timer to get the most probable times of greatest generation to top up your cylinder?

• Like 1

You diverter has no knowledge of the world beyond your meter, which is the point it monitors.  It know how much is going in or out of your house and that is what it makes it's decisions on, to try and ensure if possible non exits your property.

Nothing to do with how fat or thin wires are, just that it can only monitor what is going on in your house.

Re the timer thing.  I do that with my ASHP for DHW heating.  It is timed to come on at 11AM.  I can't guarantee the sun will be out then.  If you were doing "whole house" intelligence in one device then it would be possible to control a relay to only start the ASHP if there was sunshine, but then the what to do if there is not becomes complicated.  Download the local weather forecast and hope it is right?

I remember as an experiment cooking at the same time as the TD was on.  Whenever the oven thermostat clicked on, I would pause the TD until the oven thermostat clicked off again.

It would be a fun project to have total control over all appliances to program things like that to happen automatically.

14 minutes ago, ProDave said:

It would be a fun project to have total control over all appliances to program things like that to happen automatically.

Or decentralised control, where the mains cycles are individually tagged for consumption and gobbled-up by anything 'listening' that can make  use of them on a one-by-one basis 😉

• Like 1

Wasup @SteamyTea? The diverter is looking at how much energy is being passed back to the grid via the little buffer simulated by the meter. I think you're expecting the local loading beyond the meter to have an influence on this - but it's all compensated for on a cyce-by-cycle basis. Yes, the changing voltage delta due to downstream loads will have an affect on the instantaneous current but the resulting power is being integrated and used at the end of the cycle to work out how much has gone into the buffer. Then the diverter will try pulling it back out of the grid by applying the appropriate load.