Stone Slips Quote

Hi

I have had a quote for 50m2 and 10 liniear metres and the instalation is 15 to 20 days so £5,000 to £6,500 not sure if this sounds a bit excessive or not.

Has anyone had this done and does it sound right after buying the product id is going to work out about £13,000.  After that there is wood clad and render to do.  It seems to be the most expecnsive bit of the house the outside.

That's quite a premium over the price of genuine walling stone. Last time a built a wall using cropped sandstone (roughly 120mm deep by random width and heights) coverage was 4.5m2 per ton and each ton delivered was £150 so I'd expect your elevation to require £1.6K for the materials. You appear to be talking about £5 to £6.5K installation labour, and £7k for the slips! 

1 hour ago, Radian said:

That's quite a premium over the price of genuine walling stone. Last time a built a wall using cropped sandstone (roughly 120mm deep by random width and heights) coverage was 4.5m2 per ton and each ton delivered was £150 so I'd expect your elevation to require £1.6K for the materials. You appear to be talking about £5 to £6.5K installation labour, and £7k for the slips! 

yes that is what I am getting quoted slips are 6.3K that includes all the glue and pointing and between 5.5k to 6.5k instalation 15 to 20 days effort

2 minutes ago, Radian said:

Sounds like a 'feature' wall. Are you cladding over concrete blocks as I saw in your porch topic?

Hi Yes it will be on concreat block.  I have been looking at the z stone and z clad but not sure how hard it is to do myself.  As I am struggling to find someone to do it.

Just now, GrantMcscott said:

Hi Yes it will be on concreat block.  I have been looking at the z stone and z clad but not sure how hard it is to do myself.  As I am struggling to find someone to do it.

Only once used brick slips. Didn't find it very satisfying or easy. Built a few random stone walls using cropped stone and found it satisfyingly easy. Do you not have the space around this elevation for a real stone finish? Our walls are concrete blocks forming a standard cavity wall with a random stone 'cladding' tied to the inner blocks with SS mesh. Adds about 130mm to the wall thickness. Obvs. needs space on the foundation.

1 minute ago, Radian said:

Only once used brick slips. Didn't find it very satisfying or easy. Built a few random stone walls using cropped stone and found it satisfyingly easy. Do you not have the space around this elevation for a real stone finish? Our walls are concrete blocks forming a standard cavity wall with a random stone 'cladding' tied to the inner blocks with SS mesh. Adds about 130mm to the wall thickness. Obvs. needs space on the foundation.

Would need to check do not think the doundation is there but would that not make it even more expensive?

23 hours ago, GrantMcscott said:

not sure if this sounds a bit excessive or not.

Difficult to compare, but nine years ago we had the plinth covered with brick slips, after I had fitted the board and steel mesh. We also had the rest of the building clad with cedar and it took two men for the cedar cladding and one man for the brick slips. It took around two weeks and the labour was £4500.

PB290012.thumb.JPG.87a47174e4ff4ee4dce185cdb789a10d.JPG

PC100021.thumb.JPG.e8735c01222dc01b52952fef70a68efc.JPG

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gone West said:

Difficult to compare, but nine years ago we had the plinth covered with brick slips, after I had fitted the board and steel mesh. We also had the rest of the building clad with cedar and it took two men for the cedar cladding and one man for the brick slips. It took around two weeks and the labour was £4500.

PB290012.thumb.JPG.87a47174e4ff4ee4dce185cdb789a10d.JPG

PC100021.thumb.JPG.e8735c01222dc01b52952fef70a68efc.JPG

Where is the ceadart clad from it look realy good?

7 hours ago, GrantMcscott said:

Would need to check do not think the doundation is there but would that not make it even more expensive?

Not necessarily. The less processing a product goes through the cheaper it is. Ring around some local stone quarries and get the price for "cropped walling stone" per ton delivered and tell them the dimensions of your wall. They guillotine off rocks to give you one dependable dimension. If you want to trade time for money, watch some youtubes on building stone walls. I'd definitely say it's much easier for a beginner to get a decent looking result than trying to lay bricks.

I purchased 142m2 from real stone cladding, directly adhered to Durisol blocks.

Took about 3.5 weeks (full time) for me to install, with wife helping out.  Having never done it before, would expect a couple of guys to do the same amount way quicker.

Assume you will scaffold also.

IMG_20211112_132339.thumb.jpg.762bb7b35449fce00806e0449adca96c.jpg

11 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

Took about 3.5 weeks (full time) for me to install, with wife helping out.  Having never done it before, would expect a couple of guys to do the same amount way quicker.

Look great,  The concern I have is if I start it and make a mess of it then know one will fix it.  I think I could do it and think the most dificult bit will be the window reveals and ther is 3 to do.

That looks OK

4 hours ago, JohnMo said:

That looks good, have you got any more pics of that timber cladding on the underside of the apex? 

The wood is Scottish larch.  Colour is natural, at the moment its untreated.  The front of the house looks almost the same and its treated with cedar oil.  The rear gable are faces North east so doesn't get the sun, so low on the priority list to coat.

11 hours ago, JohnMo said:

The rear gable are faces North east so doesn't get the sun, so low on the priority list to coat.

We found with our cedar that it is the rain that washes out the colour more than the sun bleaching it. The north side of the house faded just as much as the other elevations. The only areas that kept any colour were those protected from the rain.

Pretty easy, just takes a while, when you're finished, your up to speed.  You need some to cut with, I used a 115mm angle grinder and a smallish mitre saw both with diamond cutters.  A trowel, and slotted trowel like you use for tiling.

My windows were flush to the outer surface, so had no reveals,to speak of.  I used a diamond cutter in a 115mm angle grinder and mitre saw, to give a nice clean cut on the stone to form a return.