Linked detached garage conversion

Ducky

Hello,

I was hoping I could get some advise on a garage conversion which I would like to do on my own property. The main complication which I'm not sure about is that my garage is attached to my neighbours garage, not my detached house. See attached pic.

My assumption here is that i would need planning permission if I wanted to change the front fascia of the garage (remove garage doors and brick up with maybe a window). I'm also not sure if this would even be allowed if I was to fully convert the garage to a habitable living space with heating since it's attached to my neighbours property. I've read elsewhere that some people leave the front and then create a partition internally to separate the spaces. Then all that is required is building regs for any openings, services, etc..

I've also heard I need to have at least 2 private parking spaces before planning would be accepted. Any advise, first steps  much appreciated. 

1953518732_PXL_20220909_1158339662.thumb.jpg.692f0c4e21b94e660bbec42e2fa8a6ca.jpg

Now there’s an interesting situation, so your garage is not attached to your house but is to your neighbours.

definitely party wall agreement but in addition I would question what you will use the space for?

Honest opinion is that you will struggle to get change of use on this, but I could be wrong.

how well do you get on with the neighbours?

Edited by markc

Space would be used as an office / TV room. I get on really well with my neighbour who lives on her own. She wouldn't have an issue us using it but it does concern me that the sound could travel. Maybe soundproofing would be a good idea. I'm tempted to leave the front and go with the internal partition option. If I'm not altering the party wall in terms of cutting into it or digging footings then do they need to know? 

Plastering and electrics I believe are exempt..

Edited by Ducky

I would look instead at one of those posh garden shed / sun rooms and then add more insulation to make it a warm snug cosy room, and leave the garage as it is.

If you wanted to go with the garage conversion, it looks like you could make an extra parking space to the left of the drive to your garage by taking down that fence and using the side garden as another parking space.

Thanks for the input Dave. 

I think the parking space issue would only be required if I went for planning permission for the conversion.

If I left the front look as it is and just changed the internals then would this be ok? Obviously if I changed the side garage door to double or bi-folds then I would get the appropriate build regs signed off. 

Seperate sunroom is another option I am considering if touching the garage in any way is complicated.

Edited by Ducky

Does the dividing wall between the garage go all the way up to the underside of the roof?

is the dividing wall timber or block or brick.

electrics are easy.

I like rock wool insulation slabs good for soundproofing and fire proof properties

Tempted to just crack on with internal partition flush behind the main door. Insulate walls, floor - screed and flooring. Open up side access with patio style doors (get structural Calcs if needed. use as office / sun room. If any issues selling then either turn it back into a garage or buyers get indemnity insurance. 

2 hours ago, Ducky said:

Tempted to just crack on with internal partition flush behind the main door. Insulate walls, floor - screed and flooring. Open up side access with patio style doors (get structural Calcs if needed. use as office / sun room. If any issues selling then either turn it back into a garage or buyers get indemnity insurance. 

That would be my call, if the outside is not changed then who would know?  why structural calcs? Crack on with a new lintel over double door if reqd. If you need/want to tell your neighbour then just say it’s temporary 🤷‍♂️

• Thanks 1