Howdens price match

gpawson

Good morning, i am new to the forum and looking for some advice or for anyone who has experience dealing with Howdens and their price match. We have decided to have a New kitchen and after speaking to our builder we have decided to get a design and price form Howdens. The showroom is a mile down the road so popped in a few weeks ago. They came out to measure and we have been in to see the design and change a few things. I nearly fell off my chair when I received a price of 28k for the kitchen !! This includes the appliances (Howdens own brand) and the quartz worktop. What shocked me was that the kitchen isn’t really that big and there’s nothing fancy in the design !! I have read online that a few people have used DIY kitchens to get a design and then price match with Howdens. I contacted DIY kitchens and sent them the spec sheet from Howdens, they also asked for the visual design. They got back to me a couple of days later with a quote around 15k . Almost half what Howdens quoted ! What I’m asking is how much discount would Howdens likely give ? This is almost half the price of theirs, are they likely to price match this and drop the price by that much ? Any help, advice would be appreciated

Yes Howdens prices are like double glazing, and opening offer to negotiate on.

Don't buy the worktop from them, they are just a middle man for that, go straight to a stone supplier.

Who is going to fit it?  It would be normal if you have a joiner on board, to buy through his account.  Some branches of Howdens will open an account for you for a self build or renovation, other branches won't.

If you give a second kitchen company a "target price to beat" you won't get their best price, just something a bit lower than you had.

Our builder was going to fit it for us. DIY kitchens have got back to us with a price almost half of what Howdens gave us ! Thanks for the advice with the worktop, there’s actually a stone supplier not far from us so will contact them for a price 

Do you want to post one of the kitchen layouts so we can see how many units etc?

Re stone, Howdens quoted us for some re constituted stone material, I forget which one.  For the same price we got real granite from the local stone supplier including cutting and fitting. They also supplied the stone for a splashback and window cill and the base and side panel for the stove to sit on, all for the price elsewhere if just the kitchen worktops.

I did find Howdens had the best range of white goods, far beating what the local sheds could offer.

Take the same kitchen design (but not price list) to somewhere cheap like the big orange DIY shop to try and get a better price, not necessarily to buy from but to aid your negotiataions.

Hmmmm. My comments:

I wonder if any of that is a margin for your builder.

Howdens branches compete with each other, so perhaps get your own account at another one and get a price yourself for the same thing. Perhaps tell them you are a small developer.

I recently replaced a oven and ceramic hob for a rental, and they were a lot more than Appliances Direct. OTOH I once got a £1800 (in Currys) Rangemaster Range Cooker from them for £950 (*). I would not be using Lamona own brand (if it is that one) in a posh kitchen. 

But their normal (as opposed to granite etc) worktops were very good value; previous T had put one burn on each of them. I was charged £55 plus VAT each for two textured carbon-grey 3m x 38mmpieces of worktop. But that's a different market to yours.

I've always found them good for my market, which is one or two levels up from the bottom but nothing like your level.

It depends who you want to use. I'd suggest getting your own appliances unless there is a reason not to do so. And, if you want to use Howdens expect them to beat the comparable price; they are a volume business. You also need to consider your relationship with your builder.

Ferdinand

* - still in the garage if you are interested 🙂 .

• 9 months later...

Old topic, I know, but we just got Howdens to price match our DIY quote (13p cheaper haha). While we’re still deciding who to go with, as DIY kitchens is of significant better quality according to many sources and video reports, the kitchen above shouldn’t cost more than £3-4k excluding worktops and appliances.

Our kitchen is not only bigger (similar island), but it has quite a few expensive units: tall pull out larders, base pull out larders, wide pan drawer units, wine racks.

it all came to less than £4000.

£28k and you’re being had, even with the latest generation bosch series 6 appliances.

get a quote from DIY kitchens for units ONLY, get Howdens to match. Find your appliances online (e.g. appliances direct) and your worktops online or from a local supplier and get them to match or buy online.

let’s put it this way, there are not many kitchens in this country worth £28k, luxury properties excluded.