Room heating?

Sealo0

Hi 

just wondered if someone could help me with a quick question. 

We have a disabled son who requires heating most of the year and in times like these I am not looking forward to the winter. To give some background he lives with us in what is a small single story extension which is old school timber framed but has lots of insulation. The gas CH is quite some way away but is zoned from the rest of the house. He has a very powerful computer which puts out quite a few btu’s but of course is only on until midnight ish. After this the heating kicks in. There are four other rads (all on trv) in the ext but apart from the carers room these are generally set quite low., meaning at times only Paul rad is on. So when Paul’s rad goes off the boiler only cycles through the main pipes which I know is not good.

Room is approx 3.5 x 4.0 x 2.2 high ( low ceiling) 

We have been toying with the idea of a electric panel heater? As a supplement?

any thoughts anyone, I would be very appreciated.

thanks in advance. 

mike

7 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Have a look at A2AHPs.

Air to air heat pumps can be very efficient for space heating and some are quite cheap.

Plus 1 with the air to air 

I also liked the bit about his computer being on till midnight ISH 😁

7 minutes ago, nod said:

Plus 1 with the air to air 

I also liked the bit about his computer being on till midnight ISH 😁

Hi 

sometimes much later depending on what the game is and who’s winning!

reply to both of you I must admit I was not going to go that far but I will look into it. 
 If you have any experience of these any leads would be appreciated 

thanks 

mike

On 29/08/2022 at 17:33, PeterW said:

This would work - easy to install and just needs a power source, preferably not an extension lead..

https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/iqool-smart12hp/electriq-iqoolsmart12hp-air-conditioner

I’m probably going to install one of these at my boss’ house soon to heat and dehumidify a downstairs room. They look just the job. And no F-gas requirement 

34 minutes ago, HughF said:

They look just the job.

Although it says quiet, how quiet is 58dbA?

How noisy is 58 dBA?

0 dB is considered the threshold of human hearing and 120-140 dB is considered the threshold of pain. That means a sound so powerful, it will make your ears hurt. 60 decibels is right in the middle of this range between no sound at all and painfully intense sound. 60 dB is the equivalent of a normal conversation level.

13 hours ago, joe90 said:

60 decibels is right in the middle of this range between no sound at all and painfully intense sound.

It is a log scale though.

"Two principal types of scaling of the decibel are in common use. When expressing a power ratio, it is defined as ten times the logarithm in base 10.[5] That is, a change in power by a factor of 10 corresponds to a 10 dB change in level. When expressing root-power quantities, a change in amplitude by a factor of 10 corresponds to a 20 dB change in level. The decibel scales differ by a factor of two, so that the related power and root-power levels change by the same value in linear systems, where power is proportional to the square of amplitude."

14 hours ago, HughF said:

I’m probably going to install one of these at my boss’ house soon to heat and dehumidify a downstairs room. They look just the job. And no F-gas requirement 

Let us know how it goes, would heat my house very nicely, and could go back under the window where the storage heater was.

On 29/08/2022 at 17:33, PeterW said:

This would work - easy to install and just needs a power source, preferably not an extension lead..

https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/iqool-smart12hp/electriq-iqoolsmart12hp-air-conditioner

I thought that would be perfect for my garden studio, but the lowest set temperature for heating mode is 16degC which is too high for an always-on unit.

10 hours ago, markc said:

Background or Ambient noise levels in what most people would deem a fairly quiet area is often around 65-70dB

Not sure about that. I know it's subjective but I feel anything in the 50's is going to annoy eventually.

how-much-noise-is-too-much-1441062906811.jpg.505baf73bbd565ea2e97070bad64e70b.jpg