External 'LED' ceiling

sargan

Not an electrical question -  seemed best sub-forum to use.

I have a Hot-Tub being installed in an outside structure  - roofed over decking.

I want to cover the inner 'ceiling' with something decorative - currently, it's just joists & rafter of the pitched roof.   (pic for context)

It would be nice to have some moisture-resistant board with a 'star' like LED array ... maybe changing colour, or just twinkling.

Something like this :https://www.stellarlighting.co.uk/inspiration/hot-tub-star-ceiling

Has anybody done this or suggestions?

DSCF0218.JPG

I did similar in the soffit in my shed. Just drilled holes in the soffit (weatherboard) and had a few small deck LEDs on a string and simply clipped to the roof joists. Made a star light effect. Can get them on Amazon for very little. I had mine wired through a separate motion sensor / timer.

Nice deck. LED light source + fibre optic bundle is kind of what you're asking about but I would think about how bright that's going to be. The light source is typically only 3W and even then, the Chinese ones I've torn down are actually only driving at 1W max (1W in R, G or B but less if more than one primary is on - to a total of 1W). So they look pretty up close but I think they'd get swallowed by the scale of your project. I have a commercial product that actually uses a 3W RGB source but what I've said already still applies.

I used to produce a commercial fibre optic light source that went into a lot of cinemas and cruise ships and that used a 250W mercury vapor lamp and stepper motors driving dichroic glass colour wheels. That would have been ideal but sadly no longer available now. I would suggest some 10W or 20W colour LED floodlighting incorporated up in the canopy and maybe a couple of fibre optic kits for a little added sparkle.

I just found a fuzzy photo I took of my "starfield deck" at the end of its life. This is the prototype of a proper UK manufactured 3W colour changing LED fibre optic set that I developed. Unfortunately the cheapo B&Q deck planks only lasted 10 years and turned to rotten dust so I've had to rip it all out. The stars are actually set out to mirror the sky above on the night of the summer solstice. Many are missing due to the rotted bits falling away. Wish I'd photographed it when new 😌

IMG_20220325_224357092.jpeg.fe406d31e0d137b34e3eb4839889f7d3.jpeg

Another suggestion: Copy one of stellarlighting's recessed ceiling lighting designs. The aim is to use an LED tape around the perimeter of a inverted island that drops down a little way from the true ceiling. The island itself has fibre optic points for interest and the LED tape picks out the contour of the island. The trick is to break the direct line of sight to the LED tape so you only ever see a reflected glow from it. To do this the perimeter is set back a little way from the face to create a small recess. I think you might want to make the perimeter a multiple of 5m: probably 10m e.g. four sides of a 2.5m square to make use of the standard 5m LED tape length. The island panel could be painted exterior grade ply.  Also pop in some downlights to create "task lighting". If you pick Tuya/smart life compatible smart RGB GU10 lamps and RGB LED tape you can set scenes in the app for no very much money.

For the really cheap version, pin up one of the LED curtain type lights to a painted board. Or go nuts and drill the holes in the board and push the individual LEDs through it.

Hezbjiti 600 LED Curtain Lights, 6m x 3m Curtain Fairy Lights 8 Modes String Lights Mains Powered, Connectable Waterproof Window Lights for Indoor Outdoor Bedroom Wedding Party Gazebo Garden Backdrops https://amzn.eu/d/89YHL5b

No recommendation on the above, just something you could use to push the individual LEDs through a marine ply board to create the effect.

The RGBW LED tapes round an island would give a great effect too.

On 22/08/2022 at 19:51, Radian said:

Nice deck. LED light source + fibre optic bundle is kind of what you're asking about but I would think about how bright that's going to be. The light source is typically only 3W and even then, the Chinese ones I've torn down are actually only driving at 1W max (1W in R, G or B but less if more than one primary is on - to a total of 1W). So they look pretty up close but I think they'd get swallowed by the scale of your project. I have a commercial product that actually uses a 3W RGB source but what I've said already still applies.

I used to produce a commercial fibre optic light source that went into a lot of cinemas and cruise ships and that used a 250W mercury vapor lamp and stepper motors driving dichroic glass colour wheels. That would have been ideal but sadly no longer available now. I would suggest some 10W or 20W colour LED floodlighting incorporated up in the canopy and maybe a couple of fibre optic kits for a little added sparkle.

Can follow what you describe .... I'll have to look for higher power, you would assume they exist.
The HotTub has multiple LED's so some light form thee, but it needs overhead light for sure.

I found a company that sells the 'DIY parts'    and even produces a DIY video

Huge range of Light Engines, rotating 'twinkle' or colour change wheels and fibre bundles

https://www.stellarlighting.co.uk/

and video link .... 

So think I have found my supplier

Next step is how many 'fibres ..... thinking of part boarding around edge in t&g, and have a central 2m x 2m panel with the lights.      So something like 330 or 400 fibre bundles to a 8W (or12W) Cree LED light engine

Not sure yet what to use for a panel ..... maybe laminate faced plywood .... or if there is a suitable 'foam/plastic faced board be better as lighter.

Fibre+optic+lighting+Product+catalogue_2022-07-20.pdf