Structural problem?

Jos

We are waiting to have a structural engineer go out and look at this but in the meantime it's driving me mad.

We had a survey done on a property we are trying to buy which flagged up some mortar cracking in the brickwork. When we had it checked out we were told it was normal (it was above the window lintel). However this crack/gap (attached) was then spotted. It appears to be where the DPC has been laid, but no idea why there's such a large gap. I know it's hard to tell, but any ideas why this might have happened?? All we can think of is the foundation 😬.

For context the building is 1950s ex-council.

Screenshot_20220816-200616.jpg

Difficult to see but it might only be pointing issue. If the DPC has been laid a bit proud, it splits the joint. The rest of the pointing looks weak so it could be related. Are there any actual gaps you can see, or cracks through bricks?

No cracks through the brick that we are aware of. It is just the other areas of mortar deterioration which do run symmetrically up from the front window, but this is what we have been told is fairly normal and probably caused by the lintel. The gap in the picture is quite wide in real life, you can fit a finger in. I suppose the worry is the size and the fact it is horizontal.

There is evidence of re-pointing work around the back of the house above the patio doors.

Okay, the ‘gap’ is finger width but is that a normal joint where the mortar has fallen out? Or is that joint significantly wider than other parts of the DPC course? Again it is very difficult to assess from a photo, wait for the SE to confirm. In the meantime don’t worry too much but think about what course of action to take in case he says it’s structural (almost anything can be fixed, at a price).

• Thanks 1

Sorry to come back to this. We have received more photos of the property and surrounding area and the problem appears to look much worse. We have had quite a job trying to get a SE for this & now that we have these photos my partner seems to think it is not even worth paying for a survey. Any thoughts on whether this is as damning as it looks? Picture below is of a neighbouring property. Not sure whether to just cut our losses now after seeing this.

IMG_2995.jpg

IMG_2993.jpg

IMG_2997.jpg

IMG_2998.jpg

IMG_3004.jpg

Edited by Jos

On 20/08/2022 at 07:49, Bonner said:

Okay, the ‘gap’ is finger width but is that a normal joint where the mortar has fallen out?

From the latest photos it looks clear to me that it's just a failure of the pointing. All bricks look to be in reasonable alignment apart from one corner brick on the slant but I expect it was laid like that to begin with.

• Like 1

I agree with the above, you can see the DPC, it looks like the mortar below has just failed and fallen out, it doesn't look like anything has moved. I would do some other investigations such as look round openings and things but if the house was otherwise fine and I wanted it I would not be put off only by these issues, there would need to be a sign of structural movement for the red flag to fly.

Look at it this way, if the bottom of the wall had moved down, the top of the wall would move too, its not being suspended on skyhooks. 

Edited by Carrerahill

2 hours ago, Jos said:

Thanks for the input I appreciate it. We are going to get an SE round.

I wouldn't bother. 

Think about it logically, why would a wall pull apart and leave the top piece unsupported? The building above this "issue" mortar bed is bearing down on the rest, wall ties are not going to support an outer skin of brick, you would be seeing some pretty serious issues if that bottom visible courses plus whatever is below ground level had dropped.

Edited by Carrerahill

I agree with the above, no cracking above the DPC so no structural issue, Just needs pointing, most surveys not worth the paper they are printed on, spend the money on getting the repairs done (and above the DPC at the same time) it would not stop me buying the house 🤷‍♂️, use this issue to knock them down on price 😎

Edited by joe90

I agree with others. Just looks like it needs repointing. If you look into the gaps (eg the one with the finger in) you will probably find mortar at the back indicating its not a gap that has opened up. If it was subsidence you would probably be able to push a pen all the way through to the cavity. As others have said, the bricks look too uniform for a gap that big to have opened up by movement.

By all means get an SE to have a look but I would arrange to be there at the same time so he can put your mind at rest. You might find what he says means you don't need him to write a report and that woukd save a bit of money.