Inexplicable decisión by Council to paint single yellow line across dropped kerb

Adsibob

We finally got our dropped kerb done today. I was initially very excited until I noticed that the council workmen had removed the resident’s parking bay (two bays in fact) and replaced them with a SINGLE yellow line.

i believe that technically it is illegal to park in front of a dropped kerb. However, not everybody knows that and the presence of a single yellow line, beside a sign which says when one can park on a single yellow, is likely to confuse the average driver. The internet appears to agree with me: https://penaltychargenotice.co.uk/parking/contraventions-for-parking/contravention-code-27/

I don’t live in Westminster, but it seems my council’s policy is the same. If I want the single yellow line removed, I can pay the Council to replace it with a single white line. Whatever does that mean? There is no other option. This is stupidity and bureaucracy on a whole new level. Why don’t they just paint two yellow lines and be done with it, or have no line to emphasise that it’s a dropped kerb!

9 hours ago, Adsibob said:

i believe that technically it is illegal to park in front of a dropped kerb. However, not everybody knows that

I knew that, and have pointed it out to people that park along a street with them.  Their defence 'I did not know that, are you sure, there are not any signs'.

When I lived with my parents when younger, DOUBLE yellow lines did not stop people parking across the dropped curb blocking me in our out.  Plod would not do anything to move the cars, just give them a parking ticket.  The issue in that case was people parking in a hurry to get a bus to London for the day.

11 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

I knew that, and have pointed it out to people that park along a street with them.  Their defence 'I did not know that, are you sure, there are not any signs'.

Well this proves my point. Really incredible the Council does not think more proactively about this and anticipate people's stupidity.

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

What is your issue with the yellow line?  

My issue is that the sign for the road restrictions says not to park on a yellow line other than on certain days/times. The implication being that during those days/times it’s absolutely fine to park. But if someone parks there they will render our driveway unusable!

2 minutes ago, markc said:

I would say the yellow line highlights some thought required if parking. Generally there is nothing in front of a dropped keg thereby allowing anyone to park anytime.

But then why paint it single yellow. Why not double yellow or double red, or a zig zag. Painting exactly the same as the adjacent space where there is no dropped kerb is just silly.

Edited by Adsibob

I always was told it was the sign that was the legal part of the parking restriction, the line being an indication there was a restriction. People have got away with parking on a yellow line when the sign was missing. However. Parking in front of a persons drive/dropped kerb I’s defo a no no.

1 minute ago, Adsibob said:

not to park on a yellow line other than on certain days/times

Which also change depending on location in the country.

I have single yellow lines. It should be either no parking, ever, or free for all parking. Not a mishmash of sometimes parking.

Residence parking permits are a (expletive deleted)ing joke. Friends of mine clubbed together and got the council to issue them for their street. £3 admin charge back in the late 1990s.

Now they pay £500 a year for each of their cars. 

Dopey will pillocks. It was their (the street's residence) cars blocking the street.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1