Cable for electricity to storage shed

WWilts

Worth having a look on Gumtree, eBay, Freeads etc for a short length of ducting. Or approaching another, local self builder:

https://www.gumtree.com/search?featured_filter=false&urgent_filter=false&sort=date&search_scope=false&photos_filter=false&search_category=all&q=ducting&tq=&search_location=

I scored a length (20m?) of black DNO ducting for a tenner. Goes from my garage to gate pillar in a 700mm deep trench. In that I've an SWA, then a couple of 20mm flexible ducts for wired video doorbell, separate CCTV etc. 

Though a bitch to dig the trench by hand and a fight to get the duct through an existing, reinforced concrete slab, it's done, in and has some future proofing. 

• Like 1

Forgot to add...the final duct into the gate pillar is only 32mm. I screwed up there. Should have made it "big" all the way. It was a fight to get the SWA and couple of smaller cables through the last metre.

Hindsight! 😂

• Like 1

11 hours ago, WWilts said:

New build in progress.

Storage shed about 10m from nearest external electric wiring of house.

What cable to use to take 1 phase electric supply to the shed? And should it be in a twinwall duct?

Assuming just power socket(s) and lighting?

If so, as per @ProDave, and just run it to a double socket, Use that double socket as a junction box, and branch off with 2.5mm2 ( regular twin and earth when inside is fine ) to a switched fused spur. Locate that where you want to be able to operate the light(s) from, and install a 3a fuse to comply. Run 3-core flex or 1.0mm2 T&E to the light fittings and job done. No need for a CU there then. 

• Like 1

As above, I extended a ring from an external socket using a pair of 2.5mm SWA cables, laid in a tench wihbhazard tap above. In the shed, I had a simple junction box and a fused spur for the lighting. Worked fine. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Conor said:

Worked fine. 

All the options may do but may not be complient. The DNO may have someting to say about extended earths depending on what they have supplied you with. I would talk to whoever is doing your part P testing unless you are going to remove it by that time. Don't forget if you have trades on site using your electric it has to be complient. However if you plug it in then it is just an extension lead.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ajn said:

All the options may do but may not be compliant. The DNO may have something to say about extended earths depending on what they have supplied you with. I would talk to whoever is doing your part P testing unless you are going to remove it by that time. Don't forget if you have trades on site using your electric it has to be compliant. However if you plug it in then it is just an extension lead.

The term is "exporting" the earth, vs "extending" it ;) Exporting the earth is defo something a qualified spark would identify on site, and as this refers to work which would typically be notifiable the assumption would be that it is to be done by a qualified person. The distance and type of service need to be of significant interest to warrant not exporting the supplied earth from source tbh. Needs to be surveyed and understood, but if less than 15m or so from the house I doubt very much it would need the earths being made divisible etc.