Octopus Outgoing Tariff

Ferdinand

6 minutes ago, Fly100 said:

Slight side note to this, im not sure how its acceptable to buy PV from us at 7.5p per unit and resell it a 37p and more on some tarriffs!

How would you do this?

- You can't use Octpus Agile Outgoing with Octupus Go/Intelligent.  (That said, I am paying 28p import (Flexible Octpus) and Export is paying up to 80p last couple of days)

- DNO permissions typically don't allow for export from batteries, only from PV generation.  Most battery systems don't have this option either.

8 minutes ago, Dan F said:

How would you do this?

- You can't use Octpus Agile Outgoing with Octupus Go/Intelligent.  (That said, I am paying 28p import (Flexible Octpus) and Export is paying up to 80p last couple of days)

- DNO permissions typically don't allow for export from batteries, only from PV generation.  Most battery systems don't have this option either.

You must be on a legacy tarriff, I cant find anything better than 7.5p export.

Edited by Fly100

31 minutes ago, Fly100 said:

You must be on a legacy tarriff, I cant find anything better than 7.5p export.

No, Agile Outgoing still available AFAIK.

Outgoing Octopus comes in two flavours – Fixed or Agile. Outgoing Fixed guarantees 7.5p per kWh for every unit you export. Outgoing Agile matches your half-hourly prices with day-ahead wholesale rates, helping you make the most of the energy you generate.

https://octopus.energy/outgoing/

2 hours ago, Dan F said:

Maybe Im mistaken but as understand it one of the ways to make the most of the agile tarriff is to charge batteries from PV during the day or from cheap rate eleccy overnight, then discharge to the grid in the evening peak to grab the highest export rates??

3 minutes ago, Dillsue said:

discharge to the grid in the evening peak

You can do this if your battery storage system lets you (although you technically shouldn't).  Do you have a battery system that let's you do this though?  Majority don't AFAIK.

6 minutes ago, Russdl said:

Octopus say you can. I’ll see if I can dig out their words later on. 

FAQ is here:

https://octopus.energy/blog/outgoing/

It seems to say yes you can explicitly. Seems to have been there for some time since 2018.

I see this having its wings clipped a little in due course, I think. IMO Octopus are trying to get a big stake in the Smart Grid by recruitiing the core mini-suppliers.

Words:

Do I need to have solar, or could I take advantage if I have home batteries and/or V2G?

Outgoing Octopus is best for homes with significant renewable generation, but you don’t HAVE to be generating energy to benefit.

Join Outgoing Octopus and use home batteries (or your EV battery, if you've got hold of a vehicle-to-grid charger...) to take advantage of low consumption prices on our Agile tariff and high export rates on Outgoing Octopus. It’s a balancing act.

Store electricity at times of the day when the Agile prices are super low or even negative (on December 8 2018 Agile dropped to -2.31p per kWh). Then export from your battery when energy on the grid is most in demand, and most expensive. Not only are you powering your home with cheaper stored energy, but supporting the grid when energy is in high demand, and making money off anything extra you export.

If you’re exporting more energy than you’re using, you might even get your Octopus bill into credit. And we’ll even refund the cash if you wish. It’s worth remembering, though, your home will consume battery discharge first before sending the surplus to the grid).

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Russdl said:

Octopus say you can. I’ll see if I can dig out their words later on. 

Yeah, Octopus don't care.  It's the DNO's who typically give permissions that say "0kW Export" for battery systems.  They have no way of knowing if the expot is from PV or battery in practice though (assuming PV is approved).

That aside, who has a battery system that allows them to export to grid from battery at will?

1 hour ago, Dillsue said:

Maybe Im mistaken but as understand it one of the ways to make the most of the agile tarriff is to charge batteries from PV during the day or from cheap rate eleccy overnight, then discharge to the grid in the evening peak to grab the highest export rates??

If your combined PV/storage combo costs £20k, and you can export 3 MWh/year at the right time to get say £500/MWh, or £1500/year, it will take 13 years to recover that outlay.

But you will be importing in at £300/MWh, and on a £20,000 combo, you will be importing most of your own consumption.

Storage and unsustainably high export rates are still really a dream.

Much cheaper to use what you can generate, even if you still import at the same time to make up for power shortages.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

If your combined PV/storage combo costs £20k, and you can export 3 MWh/year at the right time to get say £500/MWh, or £1500/year, it will take 13 years to recover that outlay.

But you will be importing in at £300/MWh, and on a £20,000 combo, you will be importing most of your own consumption.

Storage and unsustainably high export rates are still really a dream.

Much cheaper to use what you can generate, even if you still import at the same time to make up for power shortages.

+1

• 1 month later...

Well, my Octopus Outgoing Agile starts from 1st October, and I am now told that I am in the cooling off period.

I am also informed I am on a "payment holiday", whatever that means. Is that because I have a credit balance of £100+?

Anyhoo, in a day or so I'll close this thread, and start a new one about Understanding Octopus Agile.

Thanks for all the comments and further comments.

Ferdinand