Sky dish options.

I have sky coming out in a week to mount a sky dish so I can run cables at first fix.  

I added a pattress in the wall as its a rendboard with cavity so can easily mount the dish. Below is a picture of the gable it will go on, but it's annoying me that I'll spoil the look having a big dish added there and also put holes in my silicone render. 

I'm now toying with adding the dish in my boundary the other side of the trees using a big pole and just getting it mounted off the house and out of view then just ducting back into house ( I have spare ducts available. 

Has anyone else done this? Is it relatively stable signal? I was going to use a pile I had here similar to a scaffolding pole but not sure if I need something more sturdy so it doesn't blow around. 

20220807_130525.jpg

Best off NOT getting "SKY" to fit the dish.  They will just want to slap it on the easiest bit of wall and will probably not do the job you want.  Cancel or pause that install.  Instead get a local independant aerial contractor to fit and cable the dish, they will be far more likely to work around your requirements.  Then when you have the dish,  re book your sky install.

In our case the dish (very non standard) is mounted on one of the feet of my aerial trailer, well away from the house.  Later on, when we build the car port, I will move the dish onto that making it closer to the house.

dish.thumb.jpg.e248ecf7d72fb428edfe61dadd8c5df9.jpg

3 minutes ago, ProDave said:

In our case the dish (very non standard

What is that dish? 

I'm happy to have Sky come out, but will only allow then to put where I want. If they don't want to do that then I'll just stop the job on the day.  The local sky guy is a friend, so I am hoping he gets the job. 

I won't actually be getting connected up to sky in the house only hardware installed at the moment. But might get them to fit dish, then I'll get cable runninto the caravan for now, but right them to add 25 metres onto cable so i can run it unto house when we move in. 

So wondering if I should fit a pole and then ask them to put it there. 

Doesn't "now TV" have everything that sky does but just through the internet?

As you said and Dave mentioned get the dish fitted yourself, Sky around here just make it look like a bodge job.

Edited by JohnMo
Added context

My dish is very old (20+ years)?  It was an old sky analogue dish that I took down from someone's chimney 18 years ago.  It is 90cm diameter, much bigger than modern dishes.

The three LNB's are left, an Octo LNB for Astra 2 (sky / freesat) the middle one is for Astra 1 and the right hand one for Hotbird.  I don't use those much they are a novelty.  I used to regularly use the Astra 1 LNB when the German channel RTL used to show the Grand Prix live FTA after it was no longer available live for free in the UK, but that has stopped now.

I would put your dish for now on a temporary pole close to the static caravan and get Sky installed in there.  When you are ready to move into the house just move the cabling yourself into the house.  If you are wanting cable advice for first fix, just install a GOOD pair or even 4 satellite cables to where you want the dish to go.  by good I mean at least RG6  size and proper copper cables and copper braid, not the cheaper aluminium foil type and not that horrible thin shotgun cable that sky like to use.

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

shotgun

I thought the wf100 ot whatever itnis was the right stuff to get. 

I was hoping for the dish position to be a final position rather than temporary. I.e. if it can be mounted on a pole, put it there then run the cable to the caravan but also sky to leave 30m of extra looped so I can reconfigure it once we move into house. 

But maybe I should still do that but run a better cable internally?  Or run better cable right out to the sky dish?

If you do end up deciding to fit the dish to the gable have you allowed for the roofline overhang and dish direction.  

I hadn’t and my gable & overhang is very similar to yours.  This meant the dish had to go quite low on the gable to prevent line of sight obstruction from the roofline.    If I wanted it high it would have needed additional step out cranked poles which would have looked even worse, hence we went lower.

obviously if your gable points in same direction of the sky satellite no issues for you :)