step-wise brick cracks

Ruben

Hi,

I noticed lately the step-wise brick cracks at the bottom corner of the top window of my house on the east facing wall. I also noticed a similar crack on my neighbour's house. Also I have seen similar cracks on 5 more houses whose walls are either east or west facing. The cracks do not propagate to the ground floor. I cannot see any crack inside the house by that window since it's a bathroom and tiles cover the wall. Is this something that I could fix myself or would I need professional help ?

Screenshot_20220731-190117_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220731-110916_Gallery.jpg

21 hours ago, Ruben said:

Also I have seen similar cracks on 5 more houses whose walls are either east or west facing.

Do you know what kind of ground your houses are on? Hopefully not former coalmines! What's the monthly rainfall been like in your location? Are there trees nearby? Where we are there was zero rain in July and about 1/4 the usual for the previous months. Clay soils will shrink back and trees make things even worse as they draw up water from greater depths. 

I wouldn't touch it until you see what happens over the winter. The ground is exceptionally dry and so there may be shrinkage and this sort of thing happens.

In the winter the ground may recover, and it would be a shame if the crack was filled and it could not move back to shape.

Anyway nothing to worry about.

How wide would you say the crack is, in mm or the traditional measure, coin thickness?