All is not well in the PW SE multi verse

Pocster

20 hours ago, pocster said:

7FCA819D-A63D-4F1D-B68B-4757CFF21743.jpeg

Not sure how valid that schematic is as AFAIK if the Tesla gateway is used for power cut backup, it needs to be positioned between incoming supply and consumer unit so it can disconnect the house from the grid.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

An update 

I was able to let the PW drain down . As expected it went to the grid . I quickly altered SE to ‘ maximise export ‘ . PW then saw it as solar so charged from that . So this is the method I’ll use to let PW take from SE . One issue is if PW is 100% and SE is still ‘ maximise export ‘ then obviously it really does export - which I don’t want .

As the weather changes it won’t be too long before I do the final test of both charging from grid .

Looking back at a previous post I can see I’ve already tested this 🤣👍

Edited by pocster

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday SWMBO decided to try and use a gigawatt of lecky . Everything on including oven as she goes on a “ bake off “ bender .

Reasonable Pv generation yesterday. Yet I had to set the SE to manually discharge or we’d start pulling from the grid at a zillion quid a kw .

So after that I set SE to charge from the grid at off peak . Pw and SE both low going into the night .

It worked ! No issues - both took from the grid simultaneously!

A70BA7CE-F7DB-41F1-AC7F-040A6C15529C.png

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

No it don't, it is kWh you pay for.

If I want to spend a zillion quid on anything I will . From now on in honour of you I shall not use kw / kwH or any variation - I shall use CT . That’s Cream Tea ; a Cornish delicacy. Universal Notation can also fit in the middle .

• 7 months later...

All is very well in multi verse 

So!

00h to 11h

SE is set to only charge from clipped solar ( anything over 3.68 ). So PW gets main pv generation 

11h to 16h

SE is set to charge off pv . Its max rate is 5kwh . So anything over that goes to PW . Effectively we’ve swapped the trickle 

At some point before 16h everything will be 100% full . We export at 25p kwH 

16h to 19h

Set SE to export ( it will supplement any pv ) .

PW will at some point begin export as we are in flux peak time band 

Exporting at around 35p kwH 

After 19h . Exporting stops . SE will discharge into PW . Enough to get us through the night .

Rinse and repeat .

😎

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pocster said:

All is very well in multi verse 

So!

00h to 11h

SE is set to only charge from clipped solar ( anything over 3.68 ). So PW gets main pv generation 

11h to 16h

SE is set to charge off pv . Its max rate is 5kwh . So anything over that goes to PW . Effectively we’ve swapped the trickle 

At some point before 16h everything will be 100% full . We export at 25p kwH 

16h to 19h

Set SE to export ( it will supplement any pv ) .

PW will at some point begin export as we are in flux peak time band 

Exporting at around 35p kwH 

After 19h . Exporting stops . SE will discharge into PW . Enough to get us through the night .

Rinse and repeat .

😎

what happens during the day if the house is using more than is being generated? will either of the batteries discharge to make up the difference? sounds like during the day both the batteries are set to charge only is why I'm asking.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Thorfun said:

what happens during the day if the house is using more than is being generated? will either of the batteries discharge to make up the difference? sounds like during the day both the batteries are set to charge only is why I'm asking.

Pw meets any demand in the day . So we’re ok upto 5kwh . If demand exceeds that it will use as much PV as it needs . I can manually do all kinds of things like cope with a load of over 8kwh - but that’s rare 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Thorfun said:

A sensible question.

Followed by a confused answer.

4 hours ago, pocster said:

Pw meets any demand in the day . So we’re ok upto 5kwh . If demand exceeds that it will use as much PV as it needs . I can manually do all kinds of things like cope with a load of over 8kwh - but that’s rare 

All joking aside, getting energy and power mixed up is giving a very misleading answer.

This really does need clarifying.  We can take a guess that you mean it can deliver up to 5, or even 8 kW until the batteries have fully discharged.

But it could mean it can deliver up to 8 kWh of energy over an unspecified time, at an unspecified power, which is probably not what you are saying.

Edited by SteamyTea

4 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

A sensible question.

Followed by a confused answer.

All joking aside, getting energy and power mixed up is giving a very misleading answer.

This really does need clarifying.  We can take a guess that you mean it can deliver up to 5, or even 8 kW until the batteries have fully discharged.

But it could mean it can deliver up to 8 kWh of energy over an unspecified time, at an unspecified power, which is probably not what you are saying.

It was a bit of a confusing response but I think we’ve read enough of @pocster’s posts to ‘know’ what he means. It’s just like learning a new language full of Pocsterisms. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Thorfun said:

It was a bit of a confusing response but I think we’ve read enough of @pocster’s posts to ‘know’ what he means. It’s just like learning a new language full of Pocsterisms. 

Se and pw both have ‘self consumption’ modes I.e they will charge / discharge to suit demand .pw is in this mode ( don’t think you can disable it ) . Se can be manually set in this mode . If it is they can in certain circumstances’fight’ and steal from each other - this was my issue at the start of this thread .

To avoid this we manually charge / discharge se .

pw max output sustained is 5kw . More than that it takes from pv then if still not enough grid .

If I set se to discharge then a sustained output of 8.6kwh is achieved by their combined outputs 

Edited by pocster
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

Can this be automated?

You can set this with ToU .

Better still if you add the mod bus interface ( 500 quid ish ) you can control it through HA .

I only do it manually so I can adjust per day based on weather , SWMBO , EV charge etc etc .

Its all part of the experiment!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pocster said:

Yeah I know . Everyone’s a programmer but no one’s a software engineer these days …..

I am neither.

Software Engineer is just a term cooked up by Mother's to excuse their son's absence at the diner table.

Everyone nods sagely.