The cheapest option for a temporary storage in the garden?

JohnBishop

Hi,

I was looking into gazebos but I see a lot of them are rubbish and I am not confident in the ones that are under £100.

One DYI guy who seems to have a lot of money not to do DYI but he does it anyway I reckon to be famous was looking for a gazebo but then he was sent a workshop tent made by Clarke - not cheap.
I reckon this Youtuber is part of the scheme to push products from Amazon, I can see many YouTubers doing that.

I reckon Clarke even if it sounds English I reckon is made in China or made in China but packed in England. Looks solid but again to spend £250 just to have a rigid small tent is a bit too much to my liking.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-cis788-motorcycle-shelter-shed-m/

I was fishing for a used heavy duty gazebos online but I cannot find anything and I don't trust any of these under £100 gazebos - I reckon any stronger wind will break them to pieces.

Do you know of any good options in the range £100-200? This would be with side walls. The ones with "windows" are actually better as you want some daylight in regardless if it's just for storage or as a temporary workshop, I reckon Clarke blocks too much light.

I want to offload some of the tools and other stuff to this tent before I erect a shed. I reckon next summer. I think I put plastic on the ground to stop moisture then pallets or other way round.

Let me know.

Very dodgy keeping tools In it, no way to make it secure, yes cheap gazebo,s will fall apart quickly and not withstand any wind. What about a scrap caravan and strip the inside out?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Very dodgy keeping tools In it, no way to make it secure, yes cheap gazebo,s will fall apart quickly and not withstand any wind. What about a scrap caravan and strip the inside out?

I know but I am not worried about security that much. Of course there is a risk of burglary but this is more or less a privacy garden, don't expect thieves to pay a visit.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Mate of mine lived in one of these for 2 years when he was a student. Was pretty sturdy.

https://www.anchorsupplies.com/ex-british-army-10-man-arctic-bell-tent-heavy-duty-unissued.html

I hope no one finds out that this tent is almost 500 quid. One day I come to my garden and the tent is gone while the less valuable contents are left untouched. 😀

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, JohnBishop said:

tent is almost 500 quid

Quit cheap. My old lightweight tent cost more than that 30 years ago.

Don't weigh much, about 1.2 kg, and is still good. 

The replacement I want is not much more.

Mates tent cost him 90 quid if I remember right.

I think there are no compromises, this has to be a sturdy timber frame and a thick rainproof material otherwise English wind will destroy it, it won't stand winter.

I don't think there is a point in investing in these pop up heavy duty gazebos. Maybe this Clarke garage/tent is not a bad idea after all but I see pallets for like £2-5 a piece I would just need time to build a shed but I won't be able to factor in a pallet shed work this year.

Edited by JohnBishop

7 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Quit cheap. My old lightweight tent cost more than that 30 years ago.

Don't weigh much, about 1.2 kg, and is still good. 

The replacement I want is not much more.

Mates tent cost him 90 quid if I remember right.

So which one should I buy? I reckon a family tent with a wide opening makes more sense.

2 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Be wary of cheap sheds.  I was asked to wire a shed recently, I declined when I saw it, really really really thin plastic.  If that lasts a Highland winter I will be amazed.

a plastic shed? or walls made of plastic? How does it look?

what do you think about storage tents? e.g. this?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1103372423937149?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3A9ff45899-b3b9-446c-89b9-34fb5c91761a

This cannot be used as a workshop but at least to stuck some stuff into it. Maybe if I put it against some thick bushes it won't get blown away.

Most tents have an inner skin in the bedrooms to avoid condensation dripping on occupants, one of my customers put a plastic shed in their garden and as soon as it was cold it ran with condensation horribly. You mention it’s only temporary till you get a shed, why not bring that shed forward and save the temporary solution. Rusty tools are horrible.

• Like 1

Makes sense. Maybe I just invest time in building shelves in my small storage area to store tools. However it would be good to keep stuff like a bicycle, lawn mower, shovels outside. Or should I just make some roof to protect these items from rain?