Wood stove liner and cowl

1 hour ago, JohnBishop said:

I want to resurrect this topic just before the liner installation.

I have taken vermiculate into consideration however because the chimney is on a party wall the temperature in the chimney won't be that low to cause condensation and tar build up.

However I was thinking about part of the chimney from the loft to the top.

Would it make sense to at least cover the liner in this Rockwool insulation on the last 4-5 meters where the chimney is getting cold?
The chimney twists so the insulation would sit on it's own on the first bend.

What do you think?

You can’t use rockwool with a convoluted stainless liner - it isn’t rated for those temperatures or that installation. It has to be vermiculite and it’s about the whole length as tbh it will need it as a flue will be 20°C max brick temperature so you will get condensation. Vermiculite also helps to support the flue in the chimney void.

Are you thinking of installing this yourself ..? You’ll need BCO sign off and tbh most just refer you back to a HETAS installer as it’s easier for them and with an old install they would be my point of call as well. 

6 hours ago, JohnBishop said:

However I was thinking about part of the chimney from the loft to the top.

Would it make sense to at least cover the liner in this Rockwool insulation on the last 4-5 meters where the chimney is getting cold? 

Think you install the liner and register plate at the bottom then fill the space around it with Vermiculite...

https://youtu.be/Kk6Et89GOCg

Are you saying the chimney has been removed in the loft so the bare liner would be exposed?

4 hours ago, joe90 said:

never seen it used for that but it’s HT process pipe insulation by the look of it - at £30 a length though, vermiculite is cheaper by a long way !!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Temp said:

Think you install the liner and register plate at the bottom then fill the space around it with Vermiculite...

https://youtu.be/Kk6Et89GOCg

Are you saying the chimney has been removed in the loft so the bare liner would be exposed?

The chimney is there, it's just that above second floor there is a temperature drop in a chimney that is inside not outside the building (part wall).

• 1 month later...

Ok I got the 904 Ultraflex fitted I cut off about 1m of it to fit the adaptor while I wiggled it it went down by about 40cm.

How do I know that it didn't disconnected from the top?

It's not a straight chimney but a bend or even two. I wasn't pulling it.

I am not going to cut another bit then to find out it disconnected and now it's too short. This 904 is quite stiff, hard to work with.

Tomorrow I am going to fly a drone next to the chimney pot to see if I can see anything.