Delaying Rendering Until After The Winter?

Johnny Jekyll

Hi everyone,

Our 3 bed detached new build (location south London) is built from medium dense 7n block and block construction (both skins) with full fill cavity.

It has been up and water tight since January 2022 and has settled and dried out through the summer.

The renderer said it would be good to do most of the banging around inside the house before rendering to reduce potential cracking, so the current plan is to render in September / October time just before winter comes.

With delays and having to do much of the work myself, I won't be be anywhere near finished inside in time, so do you think it would be ok to delay the rendering until next spring?

I'm very happy to protect the walls from the winter weather using breathable roofing felt?

Starting at the bottom of the walls, hanging and overlapping something like Cromar Vent 3 would be cheap and easy enough to do (I invested in an excellent scaffold tower early on which would work well)?

Any advice / opinions much appreciated thanks.

Just spoke to a builder friend of mine on the phone, he said it would be absolutely fine to leave through the winter and render next year, especially as I'm using medium dense blocks.

Waiting for feedback from our renderer, think they are on holiday, will post their comments as soon as they reply.

Any further comments from our knowledgeable colleagues on here would of course be much appreciated. Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

I built a dense block outside shed with a slate roof, single skin and had no problems with water ingress for a number of years before I decided to cover it so I think it will be fine over the winter, I'm assuming your PIR full fill will have a small gap to the outer skin (10mm), if correct it's not incontact causing any issues.