On the theme of Bricklayers

My mate started a new Brickie Whist his work was ok His setting out was terrible 

He sacked him without paying him 

Saturday morning he came back to site and damaged all of his work 

including a 6000 brick curved wall that he didn’t build 

6C60B7B9-D23D-461E-BDE0-03E9279DD020.jpeg

FBCB8AB7-F0B0-4173-91C1-FE394D5A3402.jpeg

35 minutes ago, nod said:

I think he’s going to get what’s coming to him on Monday 

So the bloke did a days work, your mate weren't happy and refused to pay him. You said the work was OK.

Where does your mate get off thinking he can treat people like that and there be no comeback.

I'd have done exactly the same as the bricky.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, LA3222 said:

So the bloke did a days work, your mate weren't happy and refused to pay him. You said the work was OK.

Where does your mate get off thinking he can treat people like that and there be no comeback.

No 

Him and his two mates did a weeks work and put doors and windows in the wrong places 

and put ripped dpc in the perimeter tray 

He didn’t pay them because he would have to put a gang on it for a week 

When he came back to do the damage 

I don’t think he had thought it through 

Ok my tuppenny worth ..the main bits look ok but the pointing is shite. Maybe that was left to set after the 'discussion' started.If the setting out was poor then that could have expensive implications further on in the build. Maybe the bricky shouldn't have been left to his own devices for any long period of time until a few checks on setting out etc had been made. I can't really comment on who is at fault here without knowing much more of the story. It does look though by the damage that the bricklayer thinks that he is in the right. If he was so convinced that he was in the right though, he  would have been better off going through legal channels than this level of vandalism. 

Edited by Canski

20 minutes ago, LA3222 said:

Err that’s criminal damage ..? Including knowingly damaging work that wasn’t his ..? I’d have pointed out the issue, advised that they could either take down and redo their own work or I would ask them to pay for it to be done. Not being able to follow plans is not acceptable for a brickie - if in doubt, ask. 

17 minutes ago, Canski said:

Ok my tuppenny worth ..the main bits look ok but the pointing is shite. Maybe that was left to set after the 'discussion' started.If the setting out was poor then that could have expensive implications further on in the build. Maybe the bricky shouldn't have been left to his own devices for any long period of time until a few checks on setting out etc had been made. I can't really comment on who is at fault here without knowing much more of the story. It does look though by the damage that the bricklayer thinks that he is in the right. If he was so convinced that he was in the right though, he  would have been better off going through legal channels than this level of vandalism. 

He’s more than eighty Brickies working for him Between three of them they should be able to follow a simple set out drawing 

He checks the work and count once per week 

He doesn’t even have the addresses for most of his Brickies 

The house builder doesn’t want the police involved 

My friend can’t let it go or it will become a regular thing 

The three Brickies are young 

They will learn from this 

2 hours ago, nod said:

Whist his work was ok

Your words.

58 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Not being able to follow plans is not acceptable for a brickie

See OPs words.

58 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Err that’s criminal damage

Absolutely.

Put yourself in the shoes of a young, jobbing, tradesmen. Do you really think they have the wherewithal to take legal action. Nope. So in this scenario all the power lies with the employer - how many times has he done this before? 

He did a job and the work was ok. Maybe he didn't work as well or as fast as desired.but the work was ok. Why the hell.should he be denied a wage for that? Something. But to pay nothing and tell him to do one, that takes the piss.

As we see, the outcome was probably the fruit of frustration, anger at a perceived injustice and feeling powerless to do.anything other than to vandalise the work.

Me with a well paid job, absolutely I'd take legal action. Me living hand mouth and being ripped (maybe not the first time) off with no conceivable recourse, I'd do what was done.

He self employed not a jobber 

If it was your home you would be happy to pay him again ?

and if you didn’t you understand when he came back and destoyed your property 

I don’t know if you have ever run a business Certainly not a building business 

You can not pay for bad work 

You give the guys a chance to put it right 

Or pay someone else to put it 

and give them what is left over If anything 

In this case it wasn’t possible 

The house builders agent wanted them off 

If your doing a build you will have to toughen up 

@nodyou said the work was ok. Now you are changing the narrative and back pedalling to suggest the work was crap.

The setting out was crap but the work was ok were your words.

If a bloke dies a day's work at Tesco do you think they can get away with not paying? 

Your first post on this matter suggests that the real issue seems to be that they need supervision to make sure all us where it should be. You don't say anything about being given the opportunity to 'make good' because from what you say, the work was ok once it was done.

Now you are harping on about the work being crap. You are back pedalling to justify your mate being a tool and not paying people fir their toil.

This sort of thing really p**ses me off. If the work was good, pay the man - even if you don't want to use them again.

58 minutes ago, nod said:

self employed not a jobber

What the hell does this change. My point was that the bloke is clearly not going to take legal action as its more hassle/not worth it for a days wage. So your mate gets away with, probably not the first time either.

My old dear is self employed in the care sector, she gets this sort of crap time and again where employers rip her off but she never takes legal action because it would cost her initially and the burden of proof lies with her. When she has a job on paying the bills, the time and effort for legal vs the reward ain't worth it so they get away with it time and time again - same situation for the bricky.

The brickie took the only option he probably thought available to him.

1 hour ago, nod said:

If your doing a build you will have to toughen up

I have/am building. Living in it now thanks. Not once have I refused payment - had to get brickie to redo some bits, we sorted it out and another trade I 'adjusted' their days pay once - long story. I explained why to them, probably weren't happy but they still turned up the next week.

It's wrong not to pay someone you have employed to do a job. If you don't like the quality of the work ask them to redo it. It's your fault for employing them. I employed a carpenter, who was recommended to me, on my build and his work was very poor. I had taken time to explain exactly what I wanted done and why and supplied all the materials. I paid him for the day and told him not to come back and why I didn't want him back. I think that is fair.