Building warrant - Scotland

Kelvin

Hi all

Can i make a start on things like the access to the site, driveway, hard standing for pre-build work, storage etc after I achieve planning permission but before i get the building warrant as some of those things aren’t covered by the warrant? 

Basically what I was told that we could do anything that does not require planning.  So we did access to site, some tree removal, laid hardcore, flattened the site where required, ready to do foundations without actually start the foundations and get the equipment to site.

2 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Yes as long as there are no planning conditions you need to satisfy first.

I forgot that one, we had loads of wild life surveys to do and wait for some squirrels to finish nesting first.

12 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Yes as long as there are no planning conditions you need to satisfy first.

The plot has planning in principle and the only specific condition on that was a potable water supply which we now have. 

19 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

Basically what I was told that we could do anything that does not require planning.  So we did access to site, some tree removal, laid hardcore, flattened the site where required, ready to do foundations without actually start the foundations and get the equipment to site.

Does not require planning or not part of the building warrant? If the former I could start now if the latter then in 7 or 8 weeks

I was advised(planning in place. ) I could install water, electricity, clear the site, dig/ create access road, dig holes for drainage / treatment plant. all without the  building warrant. So for me I got a considerable amount of work done prior to the Warrant. Then my first meeting with the BI gave me the option to show where I was at, and agree his next inspection.

Good stuff. I have considerable groundworks to do. There’s a fair bit of cutting and filling to level the site which will need a retaining wall eventually so can do a lot of the prep for that. I have started clearing the gorse. 100mx4m of the stuff. There’s another 120mx6m on the bottom border but farmer has agreed to deal with that as part of the boundary fence

Beware though of anything that might be considered part of the new construction as the penalty for starting without a warrant is severe.

Therefore i would contact the BCO and say what you would like to commence.

Then there won't be any issues, and your courtesy is likely to be noted.

Avoids any surprise visits too, as they will be aware of why, for example, a digger might be working.

For example, if I was a bco I would consider the construction of any drainage or treatment to be under the warranty: best clarify.

1 hour ago, Modernista said:

I hope your Scottish local authority gives better service and query turnaround than ours - our building warrant (for renovations) took 6 months to secure even with an SER certificate in place.

I was rather hoping to start this year but I’ve written that off now. A combination of the kit supplier causing us delays and the slowness of  P&K. Their website says they are back to normal turn around times for decisions but I spoke with someone yesterday who said that isn’t the case.  My aim is to get building March next year now. All very frustrating given I signed the contract with the kit supplier on the 6 March this year. 

8 hours ago, saveasteading said:

Beware though of anything that might be considered part of the new construction as the penalty for starting without a warrant is severe.

Therefore i would contact the BCO and say what you would like to commence.

Then there won't be any issues, and your courtesy is likely to be noted.

Avoids any surprise visits too, as they will be aware of why, for example, a digger might be working.

For example, if I was a bco I would consider the construction of any drainage or treatment to be under the warranty: best clarify.

Good advice. Will do. Thanks. 

55 minutes ago, Kelvin said:

and the slowness of  P&K. Their website says they are back to normal turn around times for decisions but I spoke with someone yesterday who said that isn’t the case. 

Must  be luck of the draw on who handles your case, we are also P&K and where 5 weeks for planning decision and 5 weeks for building warrant being issued and that was with a few points needing addressed in the warrant. 

When you say cutting if you mean trees then be sure they are aware they are coming down as we got caught out with needing permission in retrospect after taking down a few that had been tagged in the tree survey that planning permission needed. Was obvious they needed brought down as they where where pavements and driveways where going but as they where tagged we had to get permission. Hindsight should have had all trees down that where coming down before planning was put in.

11 hours ago, Barryscotland said:

Must  be luck of the draw on who handles your case, we are also P&K and where 5 weeks for planning decision and 5 weeks for building warrant being issued and that was with a few points needing addressed in the warrant. 

When you say cutting if you mean trees then be sure they are aware they are coming down as we got caught out with needing permission in retrospect after taking down a few that had been tagged in the tree survey that planning permission needed. Was obvious they needed brought down as they where where pavements and driveways where going but as they where tagged we had to get permission. Hindsight should have had all trees down that where coming down before planning was put in.

Cutting as it relates to groundworks; digging out the hight point of the slope and filling the low point. Fortunately all our trees are on the boundaries and none at all in the field. 

5 weeks for both would be great. Due date for decision is 24/8. Validation has dragged on a bit but that was down errors and omissions by the architect 🙄 

Ask the bco. As they haven't rejected the application outright, you know permission is coming. If you explain what you want to do and why, they 90% will allow it, if I understand your circumstances.

Make it easy for them with a sketch and plan.