Screed thickness with UFH, over PIR. How thick?

saveasteading

I just noticed I started this thread last June.  So here is more info.

We got 3 names from the local Cemfloor supplier. 1 was 25 miles away and the others about 40 and 60. All quoted thoroughly and the favoured price came down to the absence of conditions or travelling extras.

The cost per visit was significant, so we changed programme and prepared all the floor.

He did all the ordering but we would have had the resonsibility if wrongly quantified. At £400/m3 you don't want too much. About 1/4m3 (as extra allowed) was left and spread on the hardcore track.

We had decided that if we were unexpectedly  short, we could mix up a sand/ cement screed ourselves to fill in the gap.

The stuff came in standard concrete wagons, and the contractor hired a small pump. He had 2 assistants, who did the extensive prep and then odd jobs, and the cleaning up, but never held the hose. 

I don't remember him ever going back to correct a level, as it magically flowed to the level markers (war of the world creature-like tripods).

Chatting after, we found he is a general builder, but there is a lot of cemfloor work.

Lastly. Tarmac concrete didn't offer cemfloor but offered a special mix which would do much the same (small aggregate and plasticiser). That may be of use where there is no cemfloor availability. 

• 2 months later...
On 15/03/2023 at 17:03, saveasteading said:

I just noticed I started this thread last June.  So here is more info.

We got 3 names from the local Cemfloor supplier. 1 was 25 miles away and the others about 40 and 60. All quoted thoroughly and the favoured price came down to the absence of conditions or travelling extras.

The cost per visit was significant, so we changed programme and prepared all the floor.

He did all the ordering but we would have had the resonsibility if wrongly quantified. At £400/m3 you don't want too much. About 1/4m3 (as extra allowed) was left and spread on the hardcore track.

We had decided that if we were unexpectedly  short, we could mix up a sand/ cement screed ourselves to fill in the gap.

The stuff came in standard concrete wagons, and the contractor hired a small pump. He had 2 assistants, who did the extensive prep and then odd jobs, and the cleaning up, but never held the hose. 

I don't remember him ever going back to correct a level, as it magically flowed to the level markers (war of the world creature-like tripods).

Chatting after, we found he is a general builder, but there is a lot of cemfloor work.

Lastly. Tarmac concrete didn't offer cemfloor but offered a special mix which would do much the same (small aggregate and plasticiser). That may be of use where there is no cemfloor availability. 

What thickness do you decide at the end.?

9 minutes ago, Temp said:

When choosing screed type, if you plan to tile make sure you understand the Laitance issue.

indeed. we specifically found a Cemfloor installer for our screeds as we really didn't want to use an Anhydrite screed due to laitance. just had the ground floor screed done this week, depth varied from 50mm - 75mm (in a few places). installer had no concerns with the depth and we now have a nice level screed to tile on to.

interestingly the installer said that if tiling on to it we need to get it sanded to give the adhesive something to stick to. but I did a quick search on here and found a few threads saying that wasn't necessary at all including the very knowledgeable @nod in this thread

this was one of the reasons I wanted a cement based liquid screed as I, also, didn't think sanding would be required. so I'm definitely not going to bother sanding!

15 minutes ago, nod said:

Worth sealing with SBR though

I always seal / prime with a proper janitors mop and bucket with a 25/75 mix of primer to water and lash this all over, saturating the surface and leaving it to soak up whatever it wants to. Mop it dry and then do the same again the following day 50/50. Then I prime as I lay using the 50/50 mix to wet the surface 1m2 at a time as the tiles go down. Never had a tile job go bad, so that's the method that I "stick" to.

Same method for laying SLC, but I leave the puddled mix down and pour the SLC onto that for a cheeky change in viscosity. Flows like a dream then.

• Like 1