Will I be eligible for ASHP Grant?

5 hours ago, ProDave said:

Does ANYONE actually have one of those?  Even my new build EPC A94 recommends I install a wind turbine at very high cost and impossibly long payback period.  So that would not qualify would it?

If it's like RHI the requirement is only that the EPC contains no recommendations for loft or cavity wall insulation.

[Or you have a letter from whoever explaining why loft/cavity is not permissible / economic for your grade 2 listed castle etc etc]

https://www.theecoexperts.co.uk/blog/boiler-upgrade-scheme confirms

6 hours ago, joe90 said:

Sounds good but how do you upgrade something that did not exist?

This is not just self-builds though is it.  You could own a 19th century home with no heating system at all, and still claim the grant. "Boiler Upgrade Scheme" is just a (inaccurate) moniker based on the fact the majority of intended recipients will have an existing boiler they are replacing.

50 minutes ago, joth said:

"Boiler Upgrade Scheme" is just a (inaccurate) moniker based on the fact the majority of intended recipients will have an existing boiler they are replacing.

Yes, covers upgrading from an open fire, or rubbing Boy Scouts together.

Think the latter us now covered by other legislation.

1 hour ago, joth said:

This is not just self-builds though is it.  You could own a 19th century home with no heating system at all, and still claim the grant. "Boiler Upgrade Scheme" is just a (inaccurate) moniker based on the fact the majority of intended recipients will have an existing boiler they are replacing.

Sorry misread, I thought it was a new build 🤯

2 hours ago, joe90 said:

Sorry misread, I thought it was a new build 🤯

Originally the scheme was called the Clean Heat Grant but I guess 99% of applicants will come from existing boiler upgrades (the only type of new build eligible is a custom / self build, so no house builders or developers) so I guess that’s why they renamed it Boiler Upgrade Scheme to cover the majority of type of applicants. I think it’s fairly forward thinking of them to include self builders actually as we face the same budgetary pressures as those with existing boilers in choosing whether to choose a greener form of heating or opt for a (cheaper to install at least) gas boiler. 

As always frustrating that the scheme is seemingly dictated by MCS registered installers that then just hike the price so the scheme isn't really benefiting the end user. Is there any way around this? Are the companies that just design and commission and everything else can be done by a suitably qualified local plumber/electrician?

7 minutes ago, Suffolk_J said:

As always frustrating that the scheme is seemingly dictated by MCS registered installers that then just hike the price so the scheme isn't really benefiting the end user. Is there any way around this? Are the companies that just design and commission and everything else can be done by a suitably qualified local plumber/electrician?

Out of interest have you had a like for like quote from an MCS registered installer (giving the £5k discount through BUS) and one without? My experience when getting quotes has not been that prices have been ramped by 5k. But as I’ve said before on this forum in response to this: there are good installers and those out for profiteering. But that’s not a problem unique to heat pump installers or the BUS. We had a same experience when we got quotes for our primary contractor - some are simply more expensive than others and try and chance their quote. 

10 hours ago, Suffolk_J said:

The way around it is to grab yourself a copy of either the freedom heatpump toolkit, or use heat punk (www.heatpunk.co.uk) and design it yourself. Including measuring up all the rooms, it took me about an hour to get a heat loss calc done and rads sized using the freedom toolkit. 

Choose a heatpump that works with homely and you won’t need to do any commissioning, homely does it for you. As I’ve said before in this thread, it’s not rocket surgery this stuff. Splits, yes, monobloc, no….