Hello Everyone

tarikokur

It's me , Tarik.

I've just joined the community. Normally I'm living in Turkey and working for an individual of ASHP industry.

I am interested in the UK lifestyle and renewable energy adoption and diffusion. We're doing engineering for the benefit of the people , I mean real engineering  ! :) 

Forum titles and conversations were very impressive for me and I just wanted to join the team ! 

We have an ongoing process to established a company in UK soon.

At the moment, I only listen to British life stories from my boss who graduated from Manchester Metropolitan University MSc program and lived for a while.

I hope that I will participate as an active member of the group and it will be a fun preparation for me.

A warm greeting to you...

Welcome

Sounds like you are involved in an interesting engineering project.

The first things that springs to mind about the British lifestyle when it comes to heating, is that it either on, or off, and usually off at night.

52 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

The first things that springs to mind about the British lifestyle when it comes to heating, is that it either on, or off, and usually off at night.

Interestingly the converse of my experience of Turkey where you need the cooling on all night!

2 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

Interestingly the converse of my experience of Turkey where you need the cooling on all night

Never been there, but I should go, one half of my family are from there.  Called Türkiye now.

My last 3 trips to different West Indian islands has been interesting as I never turn the A/C on at night, just open windows.  Just allow the sea breeze to do its job.

3 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Welcome

Sounds like you are involved in an interesting engineering project.

Yeah , the first thing that comes to my mind is cloudy and cool weather.

We have a popular quote in Turkey " Geography is destiny." Mostly we use this for our economically trend. :)

If the word comes to Heating , We are about to meet some needs. for exp Hot water in stand-by & cooling mode with air to water heat pump system.

Working hard, playing hard. :)

2 hours ago, MikeSharp01 said:

Yes should have used that. We love Türkiye but have not been there for 10 years now, various reasons, but will be going back.

Our south coasts are always ready to serve the west  :)

Most popular ones : Alanya & Marmaris.

11 minutes ago, tarikokur said:

Our south coasts are always ready to serve the west  :)

We usually go to Kalcan, hire Jeep and go into the hinterland north. Great fun provided you stick to the less travelled roads. Anyway looking forward to hearing about your project and ideas there is so much, so many, here on ASHP / heating / cooling / DHW / Solar Thermal / PV... to discuss and share ideas.

7 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

project and ideas

Yes.

We all want highly modulating heat pumps, with cooling, and zero parasitic losses.

CoP Greater than 4, at an operating output temperature of 75⁰C and no frosting up.

And silent.

For less that £500.

Edited by SteamyTea

5 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

We usually go to Kalcan, hire Jeep and go into the hinterland north. Great fun provided you stick to the less travelled roads. Anyway looking forward to hearing about your project and ideas there is so much, so many, here on ASHP / heating / cooling / DHW / Solar Thermal / PV... to discuss and share ideas.

Kalkan is fantastic place, you should visit again !

Dissemination of our brand is so critical for us and our company establishment should be finalized @ UK.

At the moment, we are focused on innovations and benefits. Good news Soon :)

5 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Yes.

We all want highly modulating heat pumps, with cooling, and zero parasitic losses.

CoP Greater than 4, at an operating output temperature of 75⁰C and no frosting up.

And silent.

For less that £500.

Sound goods until £500. Maybe one day... :)

4 minutes ago, tarikokur said:

Sound goods until £500.

Fridges and freezers, which are basically the same, cost very little. Ok, an ASHP has a couple of heat exchangers and fans, pumps and valves in them, but basically basic engineering stuff.

One of the problems with the UK markets is that we are a high mark up country. Retailers don't like adding a small percentage, they like to add lots of £, regardless of the base price.

9 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

As well as do-able, DIY-able would be useful. Take a lot of the mystic our of them and they are just another energy source.

A Noble goal! DIY inverter and controller - yes, certainly but it's take a bit more than a scrapyard freezer to cobble the rest together.

I keep meaning to work out what the heating capacity would be when configured that way around. Care to save me the trouble? I'm busy working on my PV diverter this weekend.

Oh, and for added industrial realism, a COP between 3 and 4 and a flow temp of 55C would nearer the mark for a £1K product.

44 minutes ago, Radian said:

it's take a bit more than a scrapyard freezer to cobble the rest together

Was thinking more about DIY installation of the finished product i.e no F-Gas certificate or G3 for a cylinder.

Not saying my 93 year old mum should fit one, but a good DIYer should be able to.

12 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Was thinking more about DIY installation of the finished product i.e no F-Gas certificate or G3 for a cylinder.

Not saying my 93 year old mum should fit one, but a good DIYer should be able to.

Where's the fun in that!

Reading this thread has got me thinking.  Has anyone built a heat pump actually designed for the needs of a hot country?

It seems the standard design either heats or cools water, by switching over some valves to swap over which is the condensor and which is the evaporator.

But for a hot country where heating is never needed, then surely what is needed is a water to water heat pump that cools the house and the "waste" heat removed, instead of just being blown outside, is used to heat the hot water.  Both functions all in one go.  and if the hot water tank gets too hot, only then dump surplus heat outside.

Does such a thing exist? (if not I better delete this post and start writing my patent application)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Does such a thing exist

Isn't that what an EAHP does, but then just gets ducted in differently.

I like the LINUX approach to heating.  Do one job, but do it very well.

Heating, cooling and DHW are 3 different things, try and mix them into a single unit and you have to compromise. 

As any married person will testify to, compromise just results in 2 miserable people.

2 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Heating, cooling and DHW are 3 different things, try and mix them into a single unit and you have to compromise. 

Is that true? I have a small ASHP that delivers DHW, heating and capable of delivering cooling via the slab (which others have said works well!)

38 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Is that true

Yes.

You are asking one machine to work over a relatively wide range of temperatures. i.e. DWH OAT 0°C WT 50°C, Heating OAT 5°C WT 35°C, Cooling OAT 26°C WT 12°C.

Engineering can overcome much of it, but it has no control over the weather, or the power demands of some users.

Here's a pic of ours, been heating our house 'since Dec last year.  Diy....maybe you can tell that from the piccy!  It uses ~200g of R290, not an F-gas, but lots of care is needed.  It lives outside, but inside the ongoing garage EWI to keep it a happy temperature all year.

We still have the gas boiler plumbed in - Mrs RobL needs a year of heatpump use to be convinced we can disconnect.  I say she needs more faith.IMG_6692.thumb.JPG.a8a6c5e485c1dbd04118993da8140782.JPG

It's 600W in, ~2400W out.  Ish, as it's very hard to measure accurately the heat out.  Standby loss is 2W from a micro logging stuff, there's no heaters, no immersion nonsense, no fancy clever stuff, just on or off and a few safety checks (flows, temperatures).

I reckon it cost:  £500 for the bits you can see and £1500 for the stuff under the ground you can't.  And "some" time, which is of course, free:-)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1