SW600 Simpson Strong wall - Stick built

Jenki

My Structural calculations for stick built TF came back as expected but with the addition of 3 no  SSW600 Simpson Strong wall, 2 in 1 gable and 1 in the other.

Looking at the costs of these I definitely need a more cost effective alternative.

Anybody got any suggestions?  They look like they will be around £600 ea., and I'm thinking there has to be a non production alternative? i.e. get something fabricated

en-ssw-19-steel-strong-wall-for-timber-frame-racking-resistance-1067.pdf

Really depends of the wall detail. These work great as anti racking pillars or mullions between windows etc. But can/are overkill for a pretty standard wall where boarding over a larger area will do the same job

8 minutes ago, markc said:

Really depends of the wall detail. These work great as anti racking pillars or mullions between windows etc. But can/are overkill for a pretty standard wall where boarding over a larger area will do the same job

49501GSA02rev02.pdf

The engineer is asking for double OSB and these in the Gables. plus the other racking walls internally.  I don't wasn't the place to fall down, but at £600 + vat each I'm after alternatives.

2 minutes ago, Jenki said:

49501GSA02rev02.pdf 265.51 kB · 1 download

The engineer is asking for double OSB and these in the Gables. plus the other racking walls internally.  I don't wasn't the place to fall down, but at £600 + vat each I'm after alternatives.

Double OSB plus these Wow! Yes strong walls also add to the holding down as well as racking but I find it hard to believe they are needed.

from a design point of view they are convenient as they have a tested and proven capacity but in the past braces and ties have served us well.

• Thanks 1

Do it Australian style. 

I had multiple groups of this as I built in a semi cyclonic area, wind load was horrendous. 

Ive never seen anything built like it over here. 

So so basically they make a racking wall using threaded rod and plywood. 

Bottom plate is fixed to concrete raft with an anchor bolt that has a female thread facing upwards. 

This bolt has a length of 12mm threaded rod that goes up through any noggins and up through the top two head plates. 

Theses are fitted every 1200 mm along the wall, directly inline with the size of plywood sheets. 

The ply is fitted with full head nails, nailed every 150mmm. 

In effect it creates a 1200 x 2.4  box. 

Start at the corners and work up to reveals. 

Full sheets on all corners and reveals. 

If your interested i will will do a little sketch. 

All materials readily available of the shelf. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, markc said:

Double OSB plus these Wow! Yes strong walls also add to the holding down as well as racking but I find it hard to believe they are needed.

from a design point of view they are convenient as they have a tested and proven capacity but in the past braces and ties have served us well.

Have you seen his site ??

i can fully understand the need. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Jenki said:

The engineer is asking for double OSB and these in the Gables. plus the other racking walls internally. 

We have a 2½ storey house with external stone skin, using an MBC provided and built Larson strut twinwall TF that is racked with a single 15mm inner OSB3 skin with 2 × transerve internal load bearing walls also racked.  We had the full SE load calcs as part of our BCont docs.  This has proved extremely solid with not even a single hairline crack in any plasterwork.

23 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Have you seen his site ??

i can fully understand the need. 

The delay, or should I say one of the delays in getting the Building warrant was a difference in opinion of the wind loadings between the designer and certifier, these appeared after that meeting, so I take it this is a result of this conversation.   

We are fairly exposed, 500m from the coast sat on 75M cliffs.  So no issues in making it stay put, just want a solution that can save some money.  

29 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Do it Australian style. 

I had multiple groups of this as I built in a semi cyclonic area, wind load was horrendous. 

Ive never seen anything built like it over here. 

So so basically they make a racking wall using threaded rod and plywood. 

Bottom plate is fixed to concrete raft with an anchor bolt that has a female thread facing upwards. 

This bolt has a length of 12mm threaded rod that goes up through any noggins and up through the top two head plates. 

Theses are fitted every 1200 mm along the wall, directly inline with the size of plywood sheets. 

The ply is fitted with full head nails, nailed every 150mmm. 

In effect it creates a 1200 x 2.4  box. 

Start at the corners and work up to reveals. 

Full sheets on all corners and reveals. 

If your interested i will will do a little sketch. 

All materials readily available of the shelf. 

My only issue is that I'm not sure on what flexibility I have regarding changes due to the certificate of Design in Scotland.

If I used a similar idea to the strong wall and had an engineer design the fabrication, I'm sure that would be acceptable. few hundred for the calculations, cant see them costing more than £400 each to fabricate.

Is there any history of timber houses there blowing down?

I'm a little surprised that 2 Engineers have very different wind loadings, unless one says that local knowledge requires additional precautions.

I went on a wind loads course and it was noted by the instructor that the consultant employed among us produced higher loads than the contractor employed, but not dramatically.

The consultants rounded up every time there was an in-between number, or off a graph, and the contractors iterated (as permitted).

That wind column is very expensive for what it is. Of course it is easy for the SE to spec a standard item, and they are probbaly easy for the joiner to connect to, but they may not be aware of the cost.

Column section £50/m plus fabrication of end plates/ connection plates......and some SE design!

I would expect to see a big foundation to each post too, or for them to be linked as a goal-post.

I put my trust in triangles, and would expect that the walls can be triangulated, either literally with angled stud bracing, or using double osb.

Can you find out what any neighbours with a similar construction have got?