NW England - laying connections close together water supply & electric

I cannot get an answer for love nor money out of Electricity North West regarding the trench for our connections.

The site is an old quarry and we have had to pecker out some stone to get the 25mm water supply to a depth of 750mm. 

Electricity North West say that their supply should be 450mm deep and if side by side with other utilities should be 30cm apart horizontally. The bottom of the trench is approx 20cm and 30cm at the top in width. There is no guidance on laying services over the top of one another. 

Does anyone have any recent experience of whether the electricity can be laid 30cm over the top of the water connection?

Edited by Happy Valley

Not directly, but you won't get both utilities out together will you?  (you would probably be a first if you do)

So get water in first and back fill trench to depth for electricity and present that trench to them to install their cable.

What I did with my shared 300mm wide trench was water in bottom along one side, partly back fill then duct for electricity the other side thus giving the 300mm horizontal separation.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ProDave said:

get water in first

Just make sure that the water pipe can never be damaged, and has no joints in case they leak.

presumably the electric company are laying in your prepared trench and then go away, then you backfill with the water and electricity warning  tapes in the trench.

41 minutes ago, Happy Valley said:

Does anyone have any recent experience of whether the electricity can be laid 30cm over the top of the water connection?

Yes.

The lads that come out for one service couldn't give a stuff about any other services. Do as suggested above. 

It'll be reet lad , it be reet ... (as they say 'oop 'eer in't norf west)

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses.

Water pipe has been inspected by United Utilities and they are happy subject to seeing some WhatsApp pictures at either end. It has the proper end caps on and is a continuous run. 

It is purely the leccy that I am concerned with before we backfill over the water.

1 hour ago, saveasteading said:

Just make sure that the water pipe can never be damaged, and has no joints in case they leak.

presumably the electric company are laying in your prepared trench and then go away, then you backfill with the water and electricity warning  tapes in the trench.

I want to backfill the water first (approved in principle after inspection) with the blue tape then put the leccy 30cm above it again with the yellow tape, sand around the pipes etc. What I don't want is Electricity North West not accepting that they are almost in line vertically.

Edited by Happy Valley

we had electric and water come out at the same time and worked under the same road closure! it was a minor miracle and saved me thousands. some info in this blog post.

but we're based in the South East. not sure if that makes a difference though.

Edited by Thorfun
  • Like 1