Exposed Steel Beam Paint?

ashthekid

I'm looking to now expose a new steel beam that has been put into my conversion project - it was originally planned to be covered in plasterboard. It's a sizeable beam located on the ceiling of the ground floor of a 2 story building so it's essentially supporting the 1st floor(I only mention this as a post I read earlier seemed to note it was important where the beam was located as to what type of plasterboard was required to meet Building Regs so I thought the same rule may apply to what type of paint is needed depending on location and what storey etc).

Anyway I would like to know what kind of fireproof paint I will be required to use on an exposed steel beam like this?

It's approx 9m in length and a wide flange I-beam with side steel posts.

I've been pointed towards Thermoguard paints by my local Brewers.

And a side question, does any covered up steel with plasterboard need to still be painted(in fireproof paint 30 or 60 min) even though it's being covered and am I correct in thinking using a plasterboard like Knauf Soundshield Plus would qualify as a good enough fire board because it's advertised as having superior excellent fire resistance almost to suggest it's better than standard plasterboard.

I can't comment on Thermoguard from Brewers but I can recommend Promain for professional coatings - www.promain.co.uk - who I've used for steel coatings. Their technical department know what they're doing and will advise on the full buildup.

I would say your plasterboard is inadequate. 

But that depends on your bco. 

Normally a layer of fire board (pink) or double board in standard 12.5mm. 

If you can document that your soundshield is the same as pink or two layers of standard then brilliant, if not then. 

As I said ask your bco. 

Our bco required either pink boarding, fire paint or double standard boards. This only applies to structural steels that support a means of escape from the building (so roof ridge beam excluded)

• 8 months later...

Don't know if this has been finished yet but I have used the Thermoguard for a steel structural post on my last self build with no issues from BC. Took around 4 coats to get to the required thickness though and was slow drying.