Foundation - Ground Beams

lstevensuk

Due to the drains running directly under my new extension and crossing the corner my structural engineer has advised to use ground beams (something I've not heard of before). So much for the DIY dig and pour I was hoping for. Any advise on an alternative plan, or even if it's suitable for a DIY'er. I really don't think I have enough room to move the drains over as I'm right up to the boundary, around 1m at pinch points and very odd shaped driveway! The pads look easy enough but the beams look heavy, expensive and complicated :(

Spec for the beams:

Span: 2.6 m
Use 203 x 203 x 46 UC S275

Span: 4.5 m
Use 203 x 203 x 60 UC S275

Span: 1.4 m x 3
Use 203 x 203 x 46 UC S275

NP142208-S1-rotated.pdf

Edited by lstevensuk
Forgot upload

The only think I can suggest is moving the pipe further under the extension so you don't need the longest of the ground beams. If the pipe passes under walls at 90 degrees that minimises the length of the beams needed.

If the pipe could be moved under windows or doors it might be possible to use concrete lintels to bridge over it as there won't be so much weight above. The weight will be carried by the lintels above the window/door as normal. Would need to discuss wit the SE.

We had to do a ground beam over an old well. But was done using rebar. As far as a I can remember it was 450mm deep, 600mm wide and a good 4m long (under the planned 200mm slab) with a rather large rebar cage and then poured with the same C35 concrete as the foundation slab. Think it was an extra £450 in labour and materials. Ask your engineer if this is an option... Not sure it'll be any cheaper though as rebar is way up in price.

Edited by Conor

That’s an easy fix and will save you loads on foundations, just move it to under the centre of both windows. 

Trench fill to 150mm below pipe, box around pipe and bring concrete up either side then concrete lintels over the top. 

You will probably need a new inspection chamber in the front garden. 

6 minutes ago, lstevensuk said:

Could I do something like this? Not sure on the bend at the front. The back man hole cover would be very close too footings (390mm at closest point).   My SE is being of no help what so ever! Thanks :)

image.thumb.png.3cd7c7284df376f56e3cee6565373797.png

That's exactly what I meant in my post above. You may only need one home made beam in the middle wall and that will be shorter.

You wouldn't use a curve at the front. Probably a 45 degree section into another inspection chamber on the original route.

I can’t believe that you don’t have the space for the drainage down the side of the extension. Speak to your BC about placing a drain less than 1m from the foundations and what the BR recommend.

Alternatively if you are using strip foundations speak to your BCO about stopping the foundation each side of the proposed drainage pipe and using simple pc lintels over each pipe in the sub-floor blockwork. The drawings you posted look like you are building over a culvert. I presume the pipe you need to go from the top to the bottom is 110mm diameter?

9F9AC9AA-3478-44BE-90C3-C5DCF98B00CB.png

32E4C06F-FE81-4AFA-B9A4-84B3E6DB03F6.png

@ETC Really helpful, thank you for taking the time out to draw that - makes a lot of sense and by far the easiest option. I'm trying to get the drawings completed for the build over agreement, assume I need them even though I'm technically not building over them anymore.

And yes 110mm

Edited by lstevensuk

2 hours ago, Temp said:

That's exactly what I meant in my post above. You may only need one home made beam in the middle wall and that will be shorter.

You wouldn't use a curve at the front. Probably a 45 degree section into another inspection chamber on the original route.

Thanks for that, also helpful and definitely much easier/cheaper than the SE proposal. I can sleep much easier now :) 

Don’t forget that where you have to pass the drainage pipe through the extension:

The foundations for your new extension will most likely need to be at the same level as the house foundations.

You will only have to stop the foundations each side of the drainage pipe and use lintels across the foundation where the drainage pipe is at the same level as the foundations.

However:

The drainage pipe will more than likely be above the level of the foundations and if this is the case all you need to do is pass the pipe through the sub-floor walls with lintels over the top.

FE7F405D-86B5-4D71-9079-16E9DC288CB7.png

Sorry to ask yet another question. I lifted the drain again to gather distance from footings, it's going to be within 400mm - am I right in thinking it has to be more than 500mm?
Also I have absolutely no idea what drain 1 is and 2 goes off in random direction - I assume to my neighbours somewhere. Would it be easy to relocate further away from footings? Or move over to the right as mentioned.
I forgot I need to get an ensuite connected into the pipe somewhere and will need to cross the foundations if on the right hand side.

image.png.dcbd5e6394c685da17aa03ec9d909ebd.png

1. Where’s the en-suite?

2. Coming through the building is no big deal but can be avoided by going around. I don’t see the problem in doing this and would be my preferred route.

3. Is the pipe shown going through the extension a combined drain, a storm drain or a foul drain? And I presume it’s a drain that collects waste from your neighbours - a good reason not to go through the extension if at all possible.

4. Ask your BCO for advice and what he/she will accept. I suspect that as long as you can comply with Approved Document H you should be fine. Lintels in sub-floor blockwork where the pipe passes through should be acceptable to BC.

5. I suspect the plan needs another IC where the new drainage pipe changes direction before connecting to the new MH on the existing drainage line.

B96A7D76-42F3-4C84-A6FA-47A79B6E430A.png

12 hours ago, ETC said:

1. Where’s the en-suite?

2. Coming through the building is no big deal but can be avoided by going around. I don’t see the problem in doing this and would be my preferred route.

3. Is the pipe shown going through the extension a combined drain, a storm drain or a foul drain? And I presume it’s a drain that collects waste from your neighbours - a good reason not to go through the extension if at all possible.

4. Ask your BCO for advice and what he/she will accept. I suspect that as long as you can comply with Approved Document H you should be fine. Lintels in sub-floor blockwork where the pipe passes through should be acceptable to BC.

5. I suspect the plan needs another IC where the new drainage pipe changes direction before connecting to the new MH on the existing drainage line.

B96A7D76-42F3-4C84-A6FA-47A79B6E430A.png

Thanks @ETC I'll have a chat with BCO with the different options.
The ensuite is on 1st floor. I was going to run the pipe down the new hallway as show in red below.

It's a combined drain and yes also coming from neighbours on the left

image.thumb.png.c171bd1e1fa9bb2957302e8be7067899.png

Edited by lstevensuk

Ok some great news. BC are more then  happy for it to go around the side as the foundations will be lower then the pipe. And as an added bonus turns out it's not connected to my neighbours and is private so no need to worry about build over agreement.
Thanks for the help everyone! Quite a few pennies saved :)