LPG leak

Jilly

Trying to stay calm folks.

My plumber installed a Worcester Greenstar 4000 LPG boiler and then got a friend/ acquaintance to inspect and sign off the installation. 2 days later, the boiler failed and I posted a question about the regulator. The acquaintance wouldn't reply to my query or to book in a visit, but the plumber came back to look, wasn't sure how to reset the regulator, contacted the manufacturer and decided it needed replacing under warranty. 

I was a bit concerned that he shouldn't do this without an LPG certificate, but let it go and everything seemed fine.

However, all l week we have had a faint occasional smell by the patio, which I thought was a dead animal in the hedge, when it suddenly dawned on me it's LPG! 

I could smell gas around the connection of one cylinder and so have turned it off. It was wet a couple of days ago and showed half full. I've turned the house connection off too and the other cylinder, but now have to decide what to do.

My partner is keen to sort this out ourselves, I'm a bit scared and very respectful of it. 

Should we get an lpg plumber to sort it out and redo the safety cert? Shame it's Easter Sunday. 

There's no way I want the plumber back trying to sort this out as a snagging 'favour' and getting into more trouble. To be honest, I've lost trust anyway. 

To be absolutely sure, turn off the valve on the top of each cylinder, it could be the hoses or their connection leaking so just turning off the outside isolating valve won't stop the leak.

If you want to have a look for the leak yourself mix up some soapy water (washing up liquid) and squirt that over all the joints and the regulator etc and you will see it blowing bubbles where it is leaking. 

Agreed you need a competent LPG gas safe man not the previous incompetent one who obviously never did a drop test on it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's a two cylinder set up and seems to be one cylinder which was affected. There's still a faint smell around that cylinder valve.  Am wondering whether to disconnect the whole lot and move it away from the house.

3 hours ago, ProDave said:

pointed it out to the Calor dealer

There is a lot of built in smell in gas, so that we detect leaks.

So the leak could be very minor. Still best to check it though as your gas is leaking away and there is a stink.

Oldbury WM ....ahhh I remember the smell from the factory where they make the smell additive.

Not as nice as passing the Wagonwheel factory in Edinburgh, or the breweries of Edinburgh or Burton, but memorable

• Like 1

We have a dual cylinder arrangement feeding our hob.

The regulator/changeover device on ours came with instructions for testing for leaks. These basically said to turn off the appliance. Then turn the cylinders on to pressurise the pipe, then turn the cylinders off again. Monitor the pressure gauge overnight to see if the pressure falls. 

4 hours ago, saveasteading said:

There is a lot of built in smell in gas, so that we detect leaks.

So the leak could be very minor.

I find cylinders smell a bit even when there is no leak, but that's only close up. Shouldn't be able to smell it yards away.

It could just be the cylinder connection leaking. These have a left hand thread so have to be turned the other way to tighten. The mating surface of the fittings must be clean before assembly. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ProDave said:

If you want to have a look for the leak yourself mix up some soapy water (washing up liquid) and squirt that over all the joints and the regulator etc and you will see it blowing bubbles where it is leaking. 

+1

• Thanks 1