How Smooth should new plaster on plasterboard be

How smooth should I expect the plaster to be that has been applied to a new plasterboard installation.

Where the wall meets the ceiling and internal corners of walls feel rough compared with the main run of the walls.

One wall as you run your hand along it you can feel it is wavy and more noticeable where the joints have been taped.

Should I expect to have to sand any of it and expect to do a small amount of filling ?

Once it is painted will it look better or worse than when looking at just a plastered wall.

If you have downlighters near those walls it will pick up any imperfections.

Our lighting designer flagged places she was putting a shear wash of light down a wall and we asked the plasterers to make an extra effort on those areas. Tapped joints half way up the wall we're definitely the worst issue, decorators had to sand and fill those several times

12 hours ago, NewToAllOfThis said:

Should I expect to have to sand any of it and expect to do a small amount of filling ?

It all depends on how good your plasterer is. A friend had to do a lot of filling and sanding on his barn conversion. We were very lucky and found a plasterer who was a perfectionist and we didn't have to do any.

20 minutes ago, NewToAllOfThis said:

Yes should have said flat but also smooth.

Looks like I have plenty of filling and rubbing to do.

Can over sanding bring out a rough surface as taking off the smoothness created by a trowel and wet plaster

You don’t really want shiny, you want flat, you will want a nice key for you mist coat paint to suck into. 

When tape n joint is sanded it’s surprisingly rough, I think they use 180 grit paper for the last sand. 

A glass like finish is in my book not what I want. 

1 minute ago, Russell griffiths said:

A glass like finish is in my book not what I want. 

I once did some plastering where I polished it like glass, very proud of myself till I tried to paint it, the roller and paint  just slid off. I had to sand it all back to give a key 🤷‍♂️