OSB on some internal studwalls?

I'm curious to find out if there are any benefits in putting additional OSB structural boards on any internal stud walls?

Although not required by structural engineer or building control I'm thinking of adding a 11mm layer on some walls to help in strengthening the timber structure

whilst also perhaps helping a little in acoustic insulation between rooms etc. 

I have done it on all walls on the perimeter of the property to stop any racking, but thought as I had a few sheets left over it could be put to some decent use.

Anyone agree or is it a complete waste of time?

3 minutes ago, ashthekid said:

I'm curious to find out if there are any benefits in putting additional OSB structural boards on any internal stud walls?

Although not required by structural engineer or building control I'm thinking of adding a 11mm layer on some walls to help in strengthening the timber structure

I have done it on all walls on the perimeter of the property to stop any racking, but thought as I had a few sheets left over it could be put to some decent use.

There are lots of reasons for doing this even if not absolutely speced by SE. Yes the adding a bit of OSB to the wall adds robustness to the building. Take photos if you do as if you make alterations later then you may win a watch. Make sure you use the right nails. Say 3.1 x 50/65mm long improved of galv nails at 150mm ctrs around the perimeter and 300mm internally, standard TF spec.

On a day to day basis great if you want to have something to say fix like shelves.

Acoustically you may be better with two layers of plaster board, but it will help a bit.  Again in TF design we sometimes are allowed to take account of the stiffening effect of plasterborad, ok but I'm not that keen say near bathrooms as it gets wet. The main thing is if you want to add stiffness from the plasterboard is to close up the screw centres, use screws not nails as you can get better control over the fixing indentation in my view.

In any event always worth improving a buildings robustness.

Just one last thing.. if doing so in a corridor or up a stair say make sure you don't accidentally make it too narrow and breach the building regs by 11.0 mm!

27 minutes ago, ashthekid said:

No acoustic advantages what’s so ever Timber is really poor when it comes to acoustics 

Cheaper and more effective to use res bar and mf 

40 minutes ago, ashthekid said:

FWIW I've used 18mm osb on my non-loadbearing stud walls to line my utility room as I'm going to be hanging lots of stuff on the walls. Upstairs I've used a load of 11mm osb to line the stud wall in the study/guestroom again to help with fixing and hanging things. I had it all left over from building the roof and tf so though I may as well use it and it does reinforce the plasterboard nicely for fixing.

1 hour ago, markc said:

It would stop kids punching holes in plasterboard but very little else.

Have used it for exactly this reason, in school corridors etc, and it certainly works.

Of course boarding used behind wc fittings etc.

But normal use doesn't need it, or benefit. In fact the board can stress the all a bit and bend studs, especially metal ones.

• Like 1