Are kitchen extractor designs all rubbish?

Because of my kitchen design I've been looking for a kitchen extractor/cooker hood design that is similar to commercial designs in that I've got a canopy with grease/carbon filters and then ducting (29mm that goes in my service void) to a remote fan unit, that I can box in and isolate acoustically (I've even got a dedicated space available for this in my kitchen). Other than to have a commercial canopy company make a bespoke one, I've been unable to find anything like what I'm looking for.

Otherwise, every other extractor seems incredibly noisy (all our previous ones have been too), and unfortunately most, if not all, are imposing on my attempted clean space and drawer/cabinet design. Even the downdraft ones seem to have fundamental flaws, like I've got to reach over my cooker to operate the controls and the motor unit ends up taking up all my under counttertop space which is designed for drawers to store all my pots and pans.

If I can't find what I'm looking for above, at a push I'm thinking of a subtle cantilevered recirculating unit (that provides a low profile) - we're not having any wall hung cabinets in our kitchen. My other desperate thought is not to have a hood at all and maybe just install a single room mvhr that has a boost function for local ventilation for the kitchen. Or maybe I can gut a hood by just removing the motor & fan assembly?

I've been looking for months on and off and feeling rather downheartened that I haven't found an adequate solution yet. I've left it a bit late because I'm making the kitchen right now and cutting the plywood for my drawers as I start this thread. Can any one help with some creativity here please as mine's deplete? Desperate for some ideas.

29mm ducting ???? That is not going to be worth having. When i did kitchens for a living, all of the external extractors i fitted required ducting of 250mm, and sometimes 300mm. If you have only got 29mm for ducting you need to have a serious think about alternatives.

We did a design for something similar on my wall in marker pen, spent a good couple of hours on it, it might still happen. 

Basically it was two 225x25 ducts hidden in the wall, turning 90degrees to project outwards.

The outer opening would line up with a decor panel that was on the underside of the upper cupboards

these ducts would have a 3D printed grill over them.

Ducting then went back to an in-line unit with Greece filter on the loft above kitchen.  

2 minutes ago, Big Jimbo said:

29mm ducting ???? That is not going to be worth having. When i did kitchens for a living, all of the external extractors i fitted required ducting of 250mm, and sometimes 300mm. If you have only got 29mm for ducting you need to have a serious think about alternatives.

Isn’t it 29x225. 

18 minutes ago, Big Jimbo said:

29mm ducting ????

16 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Isn’t it 29x225. 

Yes, it's 29mm deep. I've also found some that's 308mm wide https://www.nationalventilation.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/Monsoon-Rectangular-Ducting-308mm-x-29mm-Duct-Accessories.pdf

18 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

We did a design for something similar on my wall in marker pen, spent a good couple of hours on it, it might still happen. 

Basically it was two 225x25 ducts hidden in the wall, turning 90degrees to project outwards.

The outer opening would line up with a decor panel that was on the underside of the upper cupboards

these ducts would have a 3D printed grill over them.

Ducting then went back to an in-line unit with Greece filter on the loft above kitchen.  

Okay so I haven't completely lost it. That sounds very similar where I'd planned on using the corner in the kitchen base units to house the fan as I've ditched the idea of a corner cabinet to have some services in there instead.

I have a canopy extractor and have removed the motor but left the lights and the grease filters.  I have a 200mm TD Silent inline fan mounted in a service room above the kitchen connected up with 150mm round ducting and spigots.  Operated by a switch on the wall.  It is very nice and quiet and very good at extracting.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

I have a canopy extractor and have removed the motor but left the lights and the grease filters.  I have a 200mm TD Silent inline fan mounted in a service room above the kitchen connected up with 150mm round ducting and spigots.  Operated by a switch on the wall.  It is very nice and quiet and very good at extracting.

Good to know. Thanks for the heads up on the TD Silent. I have a Vent Axia unit going spare I thought I'd used so I'll check to compare extract data.

That looks great @Mr Punter. Neat profile on the hood and simple which is what I'm looking for. Did you have any issues with the internals when you removed the motor, like losing the spigot or other necessary ducting that needed to be fixed?

Edited by SimonD

34 minutes ago, SimonD said:

That looks great @Mr Punter. Neat profile on the hood and simple which is what I'm looking for. Did you have any issues with the internals when you removed the motor, like losing the spigot or other necessary ducting that needed to be fixed?

No it was fairly straightforward.  Here is how it looks now with a couple of the grease filters removed:

bcxDUEjxfrgbcse99GK_mf-4KyLWmCckmkU752u99URuJW1fV3lt-l1Jjf741UeEo7fG661zOExXEp1MoKdieebTdI8iM9ON3Hpj2LyKwHcqVCoMwmixeIVooR-LpQnqChsNOLtfBbc2Wa0M72WQ0Xys4EbWn3xAPAC1PSQ2PxdmztT9qeoH1aBvIsPRFQ2NTPmWSM1qcyiXcxCH4tTV3Tz3hN8gmzh0bgvOCR4ZrY3RVxgfkltyScBP6kEn-6N1uS51mE-gRBvCcgJEF9mvvYHxedtuLnweIVGZXExQqq1RlRjEdLmaRDCzkE18JLaEYj6yBd3nb-tWaIPe46ruOSLvOMi7pztmEmuqVrAZqXt8CitVOzI5dKDfJUw4STOXlcqghtefTbxeGrZp30WYwm5_C-3VrV9qGi4DeAu-_DvNeKObTGrRKnuYhRYQLBfKSGSzfTgMZ-gYX7RziCoXO4CMw1lx6EB0jJPt6kLVzrFaa-eVGU0mu36Xl5Y3JcF-oG90pug5_WXyWTV_4Sqjaaxd_VOJ5MXJa3hXt9qcfmCB4qlgJsdLU7svd2flCz8ziMQfKNgm-Wih4YUVTzHwjMeDel-9JL0yUOqfsmDdg5yQwM5Vq2-ap1VXFBc_4NFFaPo7iRjHmqloydg31CzXFYQDx2wzwJWFnGiKxbQTZQhOSYU6LwDphrWbPW5fPuZJsVNhSIGOFteBV9LPYGs266F9iBM3FfxNlk2lRemJrgwCpOu9vQF5EWz7cOU=w1250-h937-no?authuser=0

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mr Punter said:

Basically that's what I did in our last house but used a monsoon external centrifugal fan. Almost silent and great airflow. Used a dimmer switch to control fan speed.

• Like 1

Before we rebuilt and now have a new kitchen I fitted an external motor for an existing hood. It was Weston in West Yorkshire that supplied the exterior motor complete with remote control. I was going to add a humidistat in the hood to trigger the motor but never got round to it. They also do custom hoods

• Like 1