New Build Steel Installation

Internet Know How

I have a general question about structural steel installation in a new build....

- Who typically installs the steel RSJ and frames in a new build? Is it typical to have a fabricator supply and install both the straight beams and frames?

- My structural engineer has provided a steel schedule with Steel type and length for the straight section RSJ and those that make up the frames. Should we wait to measure all steel on site as the house is built or is it typical to order from the steel schedule provided by the SE? The brick layers should build to match the Architect design which is what the SE has specified his schedule from, but obviously I don't want to order up front then a load of steel does not fit!

Thanks

I got the fabrication company to install our framing.  Anything he finds at fault during installation, he can fix at his cost.

Got him to also confirm the drawings were inline with the dimensions on site before final welding.

All in all no issues.

• Like 1

On 27/03/2022 at 14:32, JohnMo said:

I got the fabrication company to install our framing.  Anything he finds at fault during installation, he can fix at his cost.

Got him to also confirm the drawings were inline with the dimensions on site before final welding.

All in all no issues.

I think it makes sense for the fabricator to do this and provide all the drawings too doesn't it, otherwise could end up being and expensive task to redo something if there are issues later where something does not fit.

Very rare for a fabricator to provide drawings. SE specs steel section sizes and usually adds “to site measure” or something similar.

Sometimes fabricator is requested to detail base plates to suit site but again they rarely provide drawings.

only pre order overlength beams or frames etc which are critical to sequence of works.

Just beware that doing a site measurement could hold you up by many weeks, if the bricky builds up one bit then they come out to measure and say it will now be 6 weeks for fabrication and delivery. 

I see no reason why it cannot be built accurately to a drawing. 

The steel fitters are very adapt at enlarging a hole or two to get a leg bolted in the right place. 

4 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

Just beware that doing a site measurement could hold you up by many weeks, if the bricky builds up one bit then they come out to measure and say it will now be 6 weeks for fabrication and delivery. 

I see no reason why it cannot be built accurately to a drawing. 

The steel fitters are very adapt at enlarging a hole or two to get a leg bolted in the right place. 

Hi Russell, yeah I thought that could cause me some delays. To be honest, I would also expect that my brickie's would build accurately to the building regulations drawings which have all the sizes on there! 

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
On 27/03/2022 at 14:22, Internet Know How said:

I have a general question about structural steel installation in a new build....

- Who typically installs the steel RSJ and frames in a new build? Is it typical to have a fabricator supply and install both the straight beams and frames?

- My structural engineer has provided a steel schedule with Steel type and length for the straight section RSJ and those that make up the frames. Should we wait to measure all steel on site as the house is built or is it typical to order from the steel schedule provided by the SE? The brick layers should build to match the Architect design which is what the SE has specified his schedule from, but obviously I don't want to order up front then a load of steel does not fit!

Thanks

So we ended up using a steel fitter recommended by our fabricator. All worked out well in the end, no major issues.