Burying electricity cables on a building plot in Scotland?

Hi all,

Anyone with a building plot in Scotland moved overhead electricity cables underground? I posted a question earlier but all the replies I've had have been from people that have done this in England.

Thanks,

Lucy

Check what DNO you come under on the map:

http://www2.nationalgrid.com/UK/Our-company/Electricity/Distribution-Network-Operator-Companies/

There'll be getting a diversion of suppply details on whoever's website you fall under. 

https://www.ssepd.co.uk/Sse_Components/Views/Layouts/PageBuilder/MultiRowGridNoBase.aspx?pageid=10932

&

https://www.spenergynetworks.co.uk/pages/moving_your_exisiting_supply_service_alteration.aspx

(Btw I think your lot insist on RED ducting). :)

Not me personally, but my plumber friend who has just built his own house, had an 11KV single phase overhead line re routed and buried.They buried the section between 3 poles and routed it around the outside of his plot.  I don't know the exact cost but it was in the region of £10K, and the cost was shared between the buyer and the vendor of the plot. They did all the digging and laying of ducts to get the cost down to that. DNO here is SSE.

There is another potential plot on our road but it not only has 11KV overhead lines, it has the pole mounted transformer that feeds half the street. Rumour has it, the cost to get that moved would be in the region of £50K, making the land effectively worthless.

We had to get overhead lines removed on our last and our current site.  We dealt with SSE on both occasions.  They were fairly prompt in quoting for the work (which excluded track work on site) but their pricing structure is confused to say the least.  

Our final bill for our last house was £2K lower than they had initially quoted after we had gone through the process of looking for less expensive alternatives.  I was fairly fortunate in that I knew the chap who managed the particular team that was scheduled to do my job so he slotted our site in at a time to suit us.

On our current site, there was again a fair bit of back and forth with SSE agreeing on the work required, and dare I say there seemed to be a fair amount of elasticity in the price.  Actually getting them on site was a bit challenging but that I think was more down to the fact the contractor they used to do their on site stuff was booked up.

All I can say is its not cheap.  I think we were £7K to put cable between two poles put underground (new HV cable, new pole and stay, new joint to HV cable in roadside) and get a domestic connection in 2005.  Our current site was nearly £10K to put HV cable underground between two poles (two new poles and stays, plus a new transformer for my own and my neighbours site)

Edited to add:

Just had a look at the quote for our site:

"The proposal is to reposition the existing HV line. Dismantle HV pole 4 and 3 span between the pole 2 and 4. Replace pole 2 with a terminal pole and stay. Replace Pole 4 with a terminal pole and stay in the corner of the field as agreed with the customer and reconnect the HV line.  Erect a new 50KVA transformer.  Then lay 160m of underground HV cable.  Take an overhead pole connection and lay mains  cable to a pot end. Customer will come back for new supplies when they are ready. Customer to excavate and reinstate all track at no
cost to SSEPD except the first 10m at the poles, to provide a ducted route to the meter point and to provide and install a fire retardant meter board." 

Total cost £9817

I had an additional domestic connection charge of just over £1K on top of this.

Edited by Stones
additional information
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Lucy Murray said:

@Onoff - Scottish Power is our DNO...

I think you'll find they are in fact your energy supplier as in electric / gas. 

The DNO is the company that maintains all the energy transmission lines, over head / underground cables up to your meter. Best way I can think to put it...

If you look at the National Grid link I posted and go to the map you should be able to pinpoint who your DNO is.