Tile Edging Options - Metro Sage Tiles

Hi

Our utility walls are always a mess and we are looking to tile one wall floor to ceiling where we have a bench (always getting marked as we sit on there taking off shoes etc) and then also tile around the utility sink from worktop to wall units and the side walls of the sink as it's continually filthy from scrubbing things, etc.

We are looking at some metro style tiles in sage green. As we come around the side walls of the sink some of the top tile edge will be exposed and also the side edge. I know there is a silver edging which I'm not really a fan of but has anyone got similar that can tell me what colour/style of edging they used.

Thank you!

Not sure I follow exactly where the edge is but there are border tiles available. Just check they are the same make and colour as sometimes two companies use similar names..

https://www.tiles-direct.com/wall-tiles-c26/retro-metro-tiles-c1065/retro-metro-sage-border-5cm-x-15cm-wall-tile-p1832/s1832?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=retro-metro-sage-border-5cm-x-15cm-wall-tile&utm_campaign=product%2Blisting%2Bads&cid=GBP&glCurrency=GBP&glCountry=GB&gclid=CjwKCAiAvaGRBhBlEiwAiY-yMBOKdrFL3PpHyFjiP0Hd8aGQSs5P4zS05QvSmYlKCg9fmKc01lZ3TxoCK2IQAvD_BwE

https://www.dantotsu.co.uk/wall-tiles-c26/retro-metro-c1065/retro-metro-sage-border-5cm-x-15cm-wall-tile-p1832

Years ago companies sometimes made a version of a standard tile but with one rounded edge for this situation-but think they are rare now? 

Edited by Temp
  • Like 1

I would suggest going for large tiles with dirt coloured grout....

If you stick with the sage green, I would go with the same colour grout and spray with grout protector.

There are many edge choices. Go to any tile shop and they will show you all sorts of colours, shapes and materials.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

The easiest thing to do is forget metro tiles, they look naff unless very well planned out. 

Always look silly in a corner, again down to planning. 

Choose a better tile and your options will increase tenfold. 

Thanks @Temp I'll look into the links. 

I actually like them @Russell griffithsand we have a tiler to do them properly! We have been to quite a few tile places and looked at budget options as it's not a room we want to spend a lot to be honest! Trying to find the shade of green we liked (pale sage) was generally with the smaller tiles (we have found one similar to Topps but Johnson's outlet as they are half the price and offer Blue Light discount).

The corner is more a side, I was probably unclear.  It's more of two sides. At the back of the sink the tiles will go to the top of the wall units then come round the two sides so it will be the top of the sides that will need edging and the sides of the side tiles if that makes sense, excuse the mess. See pic (oh wow look at that I got it to flash don't ask me how)!!

imageedit_0_6384163660.gif.aa15b89211a6ecc275b368991c29be97.gif

It's not a large room and more of a walk through, cleaning etc and not somewhere we spend lots of time if we can help it because I'd we are in there we are cleaning, handwashing stuff, cleaning grubby things in the big sink etc. It's more something practical. With pale sage colour I don't think a dark grout will go well, most pictures seem to have them with white grout but a protector definitely sounds like a good plan! Any particular recommendations of grout or adhesive and protector as I'll get them all from Screwfix/Toolstation.

Waterproof tile adhesive

Mapei grout, tile spray protector all from either screwfix or toolstation should be fine.

Silicone between countertop and bottom of tile. 

Would not use premixed grout myself.

Make sure you apply the spray as soon as the grout is completely dry and before being made dirty. Leave to dry. Second coat. This should protect grout from staining.

Yes I know spray not cheap...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

The easiest thing to do is forget metro tiles, they look naff unless very well planned out. 

Always look silly in a corner, again down to planning. 

Choose a better tile and your options will increase tenfold. 

Planning is everything. You can do really nice things with metro tiles, but you need to choose your layout style, spacer size and setting point very carefully. Grout colour also essential.

• Like 1

You can also get tile trim in all sorts of finishes. Best to consider other finishes in room and match those. E.g. in our under stair WC, we are going to have antique brass taps, so we are going with an antique brass trim. 

8 hours ago, Adsibob said:

Planning is everything. You can do really nice things with metro tiles, but you need to choose your layout style, spacer size and setting point very carefully. Grout colour also essential.

Yes we have been looking into layout and like the brick type of layout. The places we have been to said 2mm spacers.

8 hours ago, Adsibob said:

You can also get tile trim in all sorts of finishes. Best to consider other finishes in room and match those. E.g. in our under stair WC, we are going to have antique brass taps, so we are going with an antique brass trim. 

As the sink is silver as are taps and door handles I think it will end up being silver.....

10 hours ago, canalsiderenovation said:

See pic (oh wow look at that I got it to flash don't ask me how)!!

imageedit_0_6384163660.gif.aa15b89211a6ecc275b368991c29be97.gif

Forget tiles, go for a wall panel here. Easy to fit yourself, no grout and easy to clean. 

I am sure you can get a shade of green to go with your flashing neon light strip 

10 hours ago, Bonner said:

Forget tiles, go for a wall panel here. Easy to fit yourself, no grout and easy to clean. 

I am sure you can get a shade of green to go with your flashing neon light strip 

We have the showerwall panels in the bathrooms (the ones backed onto the wood) and like them but we disregarded them for two reasons - we couldn't find a colour we liked which went with the patterned worktop we have. The majority of panels we saw are patterned like marble or stone effect which we have which disguise any joins and the plain colour ones are awful and the joins are far more noticeable and secondly, they are so expensive especially if they were to go on the wall opposite floor to ceiling and we want the same thing behind the sink as we do on the wall opposite! I'm not a huge fan of grout but I've never had issues keeping it clean in the last house. Bit of bicarb works a treat 

2 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

In that location I would look at a splash back designed for kitchens one piece, or in your case 3 pieces, no grout to get dirty. 

And you can probably fit it yourself with a tube of pu adhesive and a tube of silicon. 

10 hours ago, dpmiller said:

I'm not a fan of edging, I prefer just to wipe a fillet of grout around the periphery.

That's a really good idea @dpmiller and @Tempand gets away from using edging.