rip-off delivery charge to Highlands.

saveasteading

Have avoided a rip-off delivery charge, I am pleased to say.

It was just for a roll of aluminised, reinforced vapour barrier like this.

Aluminium vapour barrier - Korff AG

I knew the target price was about £1/m2, but only one supplier kept appearing whatever terms I used in the search engine.

The price looked ok and it clearly said free next day delivery UK.

But that wasn't true.

To get a delivery quote required a phone call, and the cost goes up minimum £40 as soon as the van went over the county border out of Perth.

The supplier, in the Midlands said it was clearly stated but that is not true.

They have 80% satisfaction on Amazon, mostly explained low due to extra charges and cancelling orders, but their google presence is good, and where they put their efforts.

We decided that we would not use them whatever price we found elsewhere.

What do you know, Amazon were spying and sent some other options through. So it is now coming from another supplier, better price and £4 delivery to the remote door next week, (Or where the door will eventually be).

Beware  false delivery claims which are hidden until the purchase page.

I'd like to tell you their name but best not. They will likely come up first in any google search.

I have no idea why some delivery companies think they have to, or can, charge so much more to deliver to the area...they must be losing a lot of business.

For anyone not familiar with Highland Region, Inverness has Tesco, Sainsbury, 20 car dealerships, Screwfix etc, and they seem to be getting the deliveries without any trouble.

Much as I try to avoid Amazon,  I couldn't find another good value source on this occasion

This is just something you get used to up here.  You have to grit your teeth and choose a different supplier.  You try explaining to someone south of Manchester that the "Black Isle" is NOT a remote Scottish island, it is art of the main land.

The trouble is not with the supplier, but the couriers.  A lot of suppliers have negotiated deals with just one courier to get the best rate they can and some couriers do indeed charge more to go further than the central belt, and if that is the only courier they have a deal with, they either pay that couriers surcharge, or pay full price for a different courier.

I am not defending them, just explaining why it is the case.

When you do find a supplier that does not charge more, expect it to take longer than stated.  Often the final leg of the journey gets subcontracted to one of a couple of local couriers and that's an extra day on the delivery, and any on line tracking out of the window.

West coast of Scotland for me and Amazon is my go to for so much stuff…. It’s quick, nearly always free delivery and very quick with prime. 
Delivery charges are always a hindrance when buying non Amazon based products. 

2 minutes ago, ProDave said:

You try explaining to someone south of Manchester that the "Black Isle" is NOT a remote Scottish island, it is art of the main land.

Hmmm, well I live on an island but fortunately my postcode is registered as the mainland so the suppliers have no idea ?

99% of the stuff gets past on to two local companies who do delivery’s once a week so it’s pretty good.

Royal Mail still do daily deliveries do that’s great. 

I've managed without amazon for 5+ years here now, I've no intention of supporting the baldy man's space fantasy.

For some suppliers/couriers it can work to get stuff delivered to an Inverness city address and then pick it up yourself when you're in town. It can often be faster as well compared to getting it delivered to the house.

3 hours ago, jamieled said:

I've managed without amazon for 5+ years

So had I until recently.

It often takes an effort but I think is  worth it. 

But more suppliers are giving in or advertising under amazon.

I really couldn't find this product any other way.

I had a look at the Royal Mail map of charges. Amazingly places like Banchory are charged a lot extra, and they are posh suburbs of Aberdeen (excuse me, people of Aberdeenshire)

20 hours ago, saveasteading said:

For anyone not familiar with Highland Region, Inverness has Tesco, Sainsbury, 20 car dealerships, Screwfix etc,

Friendly and helpful too. I had an exhaust partially fall off a car when I was up there once and the kind guys at Kwikfit made a temporary repair for me to get me where I need to go - Cape Wrath - and back to London. Took them a good hour or so and didn't charge me a penny.