Underground LPG tank removal

Colin Shaw

I got Calor gas to install an underground LPG tank 4 years ago as no mains gas available.

I am now knocking down the property and rebuilding and will use ASHP as single heating source. Kitchen will have induction hob.

I was going to remove the LPG tank but cost is £1800 to do so. Cost of keeping the tank is currently £100/year assuming just daily rental.

Is there any limit to how long you can do this for without buying gas?

At todays prices it would take £18 years before I would be out of pocket so I was considering keeping the tank (blanking pipe work) in case I decided ASHP was not for me or I wanted to use gas for cooking. I was also hoping cost of removal may come down in future as gov drives green agenda.

Has anyone else had the same dilemma and is there anything that would prohibit me keeping the tank under rental only but not actually buying gas? 

Thanks

21 minutes ago, Bitpipe said:

Sounds like the tank is leased from Calor so can't be simply grubbed out and disposed of.

Yes I would check. If it was bought outright then rip it out yourself.

if leased then get a settlement figure (saying it’s no longer viable and is scrap ) and then rip it out yourself

So they changed the rules on tank ownership a while back, and I’m pretty sure after 5 (??) years the tank becomes yours and you can use any supplier. Downside is that it has to be monitored and inspected and you need a contract for that in case you ever want to reuse. 

Calor may charge you less if you excavate it but it needs a GSR to disconnect it even if empty

Discussion here from 2014 says

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/4979685/lpg-tank-removal-who-is-responsible

"Flogas site say £120 for above ground and £400 for below ground"

Perhaps cheaper to switch supplier and ask new supplier to remove tank ?

Or perhaps you can just decommission it without removing it?  Convert to rainwater recycling tank? 

1 hour ago, Temp said:

Discussion here from 2014 says

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/4979685/lpg-tank-removal-who-is-responsible

"Flogas site say £120 for above ground and £400 for below ground"

Perhaps cheaper to switch supplier and ask new supplier to remove tank ?

Or perhaps you can just decommission it without removing it?  Convert to rainwater recycling tank? 

I am already recycling the old septic tank! Flogas now £1520 plus VAT could check others for same…

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread but some people (like me, might have the same problem ) but according to this Government documentation..

see  "What happens to the LPG tank when you switch?"

"You should not be charged for the removal of existing tanks."