Phone line connection

Ive spent a couple of hours trying to find out weather I need to put the grey ducting pipe in for a land line and were to run it to

Ive contacted BT and was told that Open reach deal with all that The only number that I can find is no longer in use

Best BT can offer is buy 12 months broadband  and they will make arrangements with Open reach

Not much good to me at this stage

My nearest neighbour has a BT overhead line I would prefer the underground route

Do they supply the ducting or can I purchase it and install myself

Or is it something that has to be done by a BT contractor

Any help would be appreciated

Gary

When we built our house we had to ask Openreach to quote for a new connection. They quoted us for an overhead line but we ran an underground cable to the bottom of the nearest pole ourselves (with enough to reach the top) and the engineer was happy to run that up the pole and connect it when time came. 

Long thread here with link.

Open Reach, a communications company, are just about the hardest company possible to communicate with. I think we have all battled with them.

Eventually when you get your job passed through to your local man on the ground all will get easier, but to get to that point is like pushing a rock up hill.

Local chap just dropped off duct to us, muttered that its free to BT customers, we hadnt signed up, he just said not to worry.  Told us where it needed to go to and left.  Weve never paid for it.

Openreach have a developer website with a guide to site registration:

https://www.ournetwork.openreach.co.uk/property-developers/site-registration.aspx

From where you can fill out a form to register your site:

https://www.formwize.com/run/survey3.cfm?idx=505d0400000f0d

For me it was very quick. Within a week of registering they'd completed the site survey, and although the area is served overhead, were happy for me to route underground. Two weeks after survey they dropped off 175m of duct and cable (free supply).

After I installed duct and cable in a suitable trench I ordered a phone/broadband package off a 3rd party (not BT) and they then organised Openreach to attend site and connect up. IIRC it took around 30 days from order to 1st connection attempt. Took about 4 visits to complete the connection.

My experience is here somewhere, hell of a game getting hold of anyone in Openreach, they try exceptionally hard not to communicate with anyone.............

As above, once you get hold of the local engineer things usually run smoothly, as they just bend their system to get around the failings in their management.  My local Openreach chap was very helpful, arranged for grey BT56 ducting, hockey sticks, cast iron boxes and a roll of underground cable to be dropped of at our site, all free of charge, so we could lay it all, run the cables in and leave them coiled up ready for the connection team. 

The connection team arrangement was impossible to sort through normal channels, so the local chap suggested we had an "accident", with a digger snagging an overhead line and then calling an emergency number he gave me. That worked a treat, within an hour the emergency team arrived, spotted the rolled up cable waiting to be connected and grinned, realising exactly what had happened.  Everything was very quickly connected and tested and we were then ready to have the house master socket fitted at a later date, after we'd decided who to get a phone and broadband service with.

Edited by JSHarris

I am going through the exact same situation.

Have been waiting for 3 months now (4 since registration) for them to come and install a new pole as the main one is about 30-40m away, They have dropped off all ducting and cabling free of charge.

Pole is to be installed sometime this week, ducting and cable are underground from pole near boundary to the house.

Edited by hmpmarketing

It might help a bit to clarify this is usually a 2 stage process.

At foundation time, Open Reach visited to advise where the nearest connection point is, and supply any cable needed (which we laid across the plot and under the road when the road was up for all the other services.

Actually connecting that cable to the network only got triggered when we contracted with BT to supply a new phone connection. Only then did work start to connect us (and as you will see from my thread it wasn't a smooth ride)