Connecting New Water Supply Plumbing Quote

thefoxesmaltings

Anglian water have been paid to create the new connection from boundary and so we just need to carry out the works on our land to make the new connection.

Been quoted £2100 fully inclusive of parts and labour from a plumber, for the following work:

• Install 45 metres of supply with 3 capped off tails for dwelling, outbuildings and for the new connection being carried out by Anglian water.
  • A certificate of compliance is also issued as per water regs 1999 and local water authority specifications.

Naturally, waiting for a few other quotes to come back, but does this sound reasonable?

water.jpg

14 minutes ago, Bonner said:

About £300 materials, two men and mini digger for a day. Should be nearer to £1000! Get Anglian to connect temporary building supply to a standpipe, then run supplies to buildings with other works.

That's what we're trying to do - get a temporary building supply set up. Anglian water want us to get this set up on our land first before they make the water connection. Does that sound right and how much should we expect to pay for that?

Screenshot 2022-02-11 184735.jpg

do as they ask, put a post in on the boudary with pipe and double check valve. they can then only inspect that. we put in all ext pipe work and they wanted to inspect all that before they would make a connection. i stated that if i had put a standpipe in they could inspect that i could do whatever i wanted afterwards, they agreed but stated that as i had put the pipe in prior to connection they would need to inspect that as well.

28 minutes ago, thefoxesmaltings said:

That's what we're trying to do - get a temporary building supply set up. Anglian water want us to get this set up on our land first before they make the water connection. Does that sound right and how much should we expect to pay for that?

I did it myself, exactly according to the drawing (about £80 materials). Biggest job was digging a short trench under the hedge by hand! I did it myself because I couldn’t find someone to do such a small job.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bonner said:

I did it myself, exactly according to the drawing (about £80 materials). Biggest job was digging a short trench under the hedge by hand! I did it myself because I couldn’t find someone to do such a small job.

Plumber has just come back to me and quoted £550 for it

"for an excavation on the verge for the new connection and another the other side of the hedge which will be about 4m of service pipe  will be £550"

Apologies if this is a novice question, but why would he need to excavate on both sides? Surely Anglian water are doing one side which is the roadside?

Assuming the hedge is the boundary, you need to dig under it because Anglian will only work on the road verge. It won’t make much difference to the cost if it was 2m of pipe. Is the standpipe included in that price?

9 hours ago, Bonner said:

Assuming the hedge is the boundary, you need to dig under it because Anglian will only work on the road verge. It won’t make much difference to the cost if it was 2m of pipe. Is the standpipe included in that price?

Makes sense. I will ask regarding the standpipe, but would assume so.

Mine was similar, 30m x 32mm MDPE to the house and 20m x 25mm MDPE teed off to the garage. Cheapest I was quoted was £2200, so I did it myself and just got the plumber to make the connections.

Edited by jayc89

1 hour ago, thefoxesmaltings said:

Apologies, was that in response to the £550 temp supply quote?

Both tbh - £2600 for 50m of 25mm MDPE laid is well off the mark unless there is something we don’t know (ie it’s a concrete driveway) or he is misunderstanding what you’re asking for.  As @dpmiller said, this is a ground works job in reality. 

2 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Both tbh - £2600 for 50m of 25mm MDPE laid is well off the mark unless there is something we don’t know (ie it’s a concrete driveway) or he is misunderstanding what you’re asking for.  As @dpmiller said, this is a ground works job in reality. 

Not a concrete driveway. Just a standard field. 

Okay, seems like the best option is for me to do the groundworks/dig the trench under the hedge and then get the plumber to lay the pipework/make the connection.