Suspended ceiling at openings

27 minutes ago, Gone West said:

Can't you just fix four lengths of aluminium angle in the corners hanging down whatever length you want and attach your ceiling struts to them.

I think that’s what I said ( badly ) 1 post back . Might solve the issue for skylights . Stairwell and different ceiling heights are other issues 

4 minutes ago, pocster said:

I think that’s what I said ( badly ) 1 post back . Might solve the issue for skylights . Stairwell and different ceiling heights are other issues 

Sorry I didn't understand. You could use fibreglass angle if you're worried about thermal bridging.

2 minutes ago, Gone West said:

Sorry I didn't understand. You could use fibreglass angle if you're worried about thermal bridging.

No - it’s more likely my fault for piss poor explanation. Enlighten me about fibre glass angle though !

Edited by pocster

5 minutes ago, pocster said:

So what is your genuine dungeon space used for ?

for me to know and you to find out on crime watch in about 20 years

(that's a joke by the way before anyone tries to track me down to call the police! it's really going to be used for music room, cinema, golf studio and games room for the kids)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

for me to know and you to find out on crime watch in about 20 years

(that's a joke by the way before anyone tries to track me down to call the police! it's really going to be used for music room, cinema, golf studio and games room for the kids)

Play space . Not real space like mine …. LOSER !

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, pocster said:

Assume they are pretty rigid and strong?

What's the best way to bolt them together though?

I've seen GRP angle but not used it for anything. It's certainly strong stuff if you're talking about 50mm x 50mm. I should think it's easy to drill so bolting a framework together shouldn't be a problem. Maybe @PeterW has used it.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, pocster said:

What's the best way to bolt them together though?

Pultruded GRP is easy to drill and bolt.  You may need to use some spreading washers.

You can use an adhesive, but you need to treat the GRP first as it has a release agent in it.

Or you can get the proper fasteners:

https://www.bighead.co.uk/

Used to be one of the nicest companies I have ever dealt with.

4 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Pultruded GRP is easy to drill and bolt.  You may need to use some spreading washers.

You can use an adhesive, but you need to treat the GRP first as it has a release agent in it.

Or you can get the proper fasteners:

https://www.bighead.co.uk/

Used to be one of the nicest companies I have ever dealt with.

Nut , bolt , washer it is