when does contractor become a thief

gravelrash

26 minutes ago, gravelrash said:

So why fanny about and not be honest

Too big for one contractor but too small for others?

They are not quoting for fun, as it takes time, during which they could be earning a great deal by your account.

They may be bound to quote by the supplier as an approved installer, they may price high because there is a lot of perceived risk or they aren't specially skilled at this , perhaps having trouble attracting skilled workers, or they may be the one who does it properly.

Or they may be making lots of money and see this as the going rate, 

Best don't take it personally, and find someone else.

1 hour ago, gravelrash said:

£6000 at most in materials and max of a week for maximum of 4 people in labour how can £48000 be justified.

Materials £6,000 plus waste and sundries   £7k

labour 4 x 4 x £200 x 5 =  £16k

management  £2k

sundries  and access £2k

Vans etc £1k

Manager's shogun and merc £1k

sub-total £29k

5% risk

20% overhead

subtotal £36k

10% profit in these times = £4k and a big company may think that is too little.

Grand total £40k

If they are short of staff they may subcontract. Add another 10%

Maybe you can talk them down to that.

If it was me I would redesign to something that was going to cost a lot less.

21 minutes ago, gravelrash said:

150/m2 tops inc all materials 

What is the spec here ..????

I thought you had a lot of the materials on site ..? And then it’s just adding 1.2mm EPDM to the top of it all ..? You say 160sqm on a 3m building, is the scaffold up for them or not ..? Is it an odd shape or lots of detail work ..? Even £150/m sounds high as the material cost for the rubber isn’t much more than £12-1500 so even the other guy is pushing the boundaries on that. 

3 hours ago, PeterW said:

What is the spec here ..????

I thought you had a lot of the materials on site ..? And then it’s just adding 1.2mm EPDM to the top of it all ..? You say 160sqm on a 3m building, is the scaffold up for them or not ..? Is it an odd shape or lots of detail work ..? Even £150/m sounds high as the material cost for the rubber isn’t much more than £12-1500 so even the other guy is pushing the boundaries on that. 

single storey building, scaffold all round. OSB boards, cut to fall insulation and VCL already on site. due to size and weather the deck and insulation need to be laid same day as can be covered by membrane,  or parts of over several days. Short parapet upstand around 3 sides, after insulation parapet 360mm down to 140), fall to gutter on northern elevation. Not complicated - 2 internal and 2 external corners at the short side of parapet. they need to lay deck, vcl, insulation then membrane guys 5 days so the guy said).

EPDM on standard terms (firestone) is £1800 and adhesive another £1000 + drip edge £500  - that's to the man in the street so should'nt expect and uplift above this price (they supposedly buy in bulk rolls 100m x 30m and bulk glues) so I was being very generous on the £6000 materials.

The local guy was qouting £150/m2 prices to include top end membranes like TPE.

Edited by gravelrash

1 hour ago, gravelrash said:

single storey building, scaffold all round. OSB boards, cut to fall insulation and VCL already on site. due to size and weather the deck and insulation need to be laid same day as can be covered by membrane,  or parts of over several days. Short parapet upstand around 3 sides, after insulation parapet 360mm down to 140), fall to gutter on northern elevation. Not complicated - 2 internal and 2 external corners at the short side of parapet. they need to lay deck, vcl, insulation then membrane guys 5 days so the guy said).

EPDM on standard terms (firestone) is £1800 and adhesive another £1000 + drip edge £500  - that's to the man in the street so should'nt expect and uplift above this price (they supposedly buy in bulk rolls 100m x 30m and bulk glues) so I was being very generous on the £6000 materials.

The local guy was qouting £150/m2 prices to include top end membranes like TPE.

Now I am confused, why not do it yourself. Go in a short course, hire in some labour and save a fortune for what is stated as an easy job.

10 hours ago, redtop said:

Now I am confused, why not do it yourself. Go in a short course, hire in some labour and save a fortune for what is stated as an easy job.

Because I have severe heart failure...and the job is too big to get involved in if  then have to stop because my tickers playing up. I pick and choose what I know I can do or break off from for several days. 

Edited by gravelrash