My own party wall agreement with neighbour

If the neighbour is willing, what's the downside to drawing up an agreement myself that if my building work causes damage to his side of the wall then it will be my responsibility to put it right? We'll make sure photos are taken for records.

The actual building work is a steel beam that needs to go in to reinforce our end-of-terrace side extension. No foundation works or anything complicated relative to other building projects. The builder said they'll be removing bricks by hand to make the space for the steel beam.

With or without a party wall agreement, official or unofficial, my neighbour can pursue me for damage caused by my building works anyway can't they? From what I can tell, having a surveyor do a party wall award isn't going to prevent me from being sued for damages and doesn't give the neighbour any additional rights either.

For what seems like a fairly minor job, paying over £1,000 for a document that does nothing for either me or my neighbour doesn't sound right to me. What am I missing here?

8 minutes ago, notreadyforthis said:

For what seems like a fairly minor job, paying over £1,000 for a document that does nothing for either me or my neighbour doesn't sound right to me. What am I missing here?

where does the £1000 come from..? You can do it yourself, you just need to use the letter template from gov.uk and they reply with the response and job done. 

If they don’t agree it’s only then when you need surveyors etc 

• Like 1

+1 If the neighbour is happy with your plans you don't need a formal PWA agreement. I think there is a template letter they can sign to agree drawings.

I wouldn't go offering any other deal as might complicate any insurance claim. Insurance companies dont like it when clients make offers before they get involved.

7 hours ago, PeterW said:

where does the £1000 come from..? You can do it yourself, you just need to use the letter template from gov.uk and they reply with the response and job done. 

If they don’t agree it’s only then when you need surveyors etc 

Plus 1 

You’ve already tackled the main obstacle 

Your 90% there Just fill the form in 

Sounds like you are on good terms with the neighbours :)

far too much unnecessary paperwork and arse covering “agreements” now.

use the template or just write a simple declaration detailing the works you will do and that you will (as soon as practical) make good any damage.

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/01/2022 at 22:41, PeterW said:

You can do it yourself, you just need to use the letter template from gov.uk and they reply with the response and job done. 

This is what we did with our neighbours. We had a chat, went through the paperwork and they signed agreement.

Cost - zip ?

• Like 1

I wish I had the same understanding with my neighbours as you have - we are about to commence work on an extension and neither neighbour really grasped the understanding of a PWA and both insisted employing surveyors, our hands were tied (as both neighbours are really petty and would have got a court injunction if we'd have started without an award in place) and we have ended up paying £3,700 in surveyor fees.  Angry is an understatement, we just feel so ripped off when we could have done it our selves with a simple letter and agreeing on photographic evidence rather than employ rip off Party Wall Surveyors - I really think the government need to clamp down on the surveyor fees, PWA are a cash cow for these people, but hay ho at least we are protected by a bit of paper now ?

• Sad 1