Induction Hobs and Thin Worktop

Ralph

So we went for a really thin worktop, it's only 12mm. Now we have come to the point of fitting an induction hob we have hit a bit of a snag. 

Typically, induction hobs seem to need 50mm plus from surface of worktop. We can add some blocks for the fitting clips

However, there is a pan drawer underneath with a hidden cutlerly drawer at the top. I do have 40mm clearance from the top of the worktop to the edge of the drawer.  I might be able to drop that cutlery drawer down, closer to the top of the pan drawer but I don't think I'll get the 10mm plus I need. 

Other option is to remove the cutlery drawer altogether or get a shallower induction hob (if they exist) anyone have any thoughts or experience of this?

Thanks in advance
Ralph

image.png.a422f595409ab2bb5b470bdae9c2c3a3.png

image.thumb.png.39f265698d2cb205413ac66f20dcd777.png

4 minutes ago, nod said:

Whilst our quarts are 25 mil 

I was.concerned about cracking when I tightened the clips So I used a thin line of silicone to sit the hob on

and it’s been fine 

I’ve heard a few people say their hobs cause thin quartz to vibrate so this sounds like an ideal fix.

mine isn’t clipped either but didn’t silicon as tops are oak

• Thanks 1

The, relatively cheap, AEG hobs that we installed recently claim that they can be installed in a 12mm work surface. The gubbins project 44mm below the top though and they still ask for 60mm clearance above a drawer. They don't have that sort of clamp, they use spring clips that push against the edge of the work surface so it's an interference fit.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Could a custom clip be 3D printed? You sketch it I'll print it. 

Or is it that the hob projects too far down and hits the cutlery draw?

Thanks for the offer but unfortunately yes, it's the back of drawer hitting the hob. I guess we could lower the back of the drawer.

30 minutes ago, billt said:

The, relatively cheap, AEG hobs that we installed recently claim that they can be installed in a 12mm work surface. The gubbins project 44mm below the top though and they still ask for 60mm clearance above a drawer. They don't have that sort of clamp, they use spring clips that push against the edge of the work surface so it's an interference fit.

I'll have a look a those, cheers.

• 1 month later...

Yes, I had a induction (electrolux/IKEA) 90cm hob in a 12mm solid surface worktop over pan drawers.

There was no way it would work with cutlery drawer, so I think you may need to lose that (we have a small induction hob in a flat that's in 30mm worktop with a cutlery drawer under it and I wouldn't want any less clearance than that has due to heat buildup).

One thing that I found very annoying is that the 12mm solid surface does sag a bit over wider spans, and if you have a wide pan drawer unit (we had 1000 I think from memory), it actually sags a bit in the middle at the front edge as there's not much of a support, which results in a small but annoying ~1mm gap to the glass surface of the cooker. Silicone will soon enough cover it but it's still not ideal. Shouldn't be an issue on a 60cm cooker though.

3 hours ago, SuperPav said:

There was no way it would work with cutlery drawer, so I think you may need to lose that (we have a small induction hob in a flat that's in 30mm worktop with a cutlery drawer under it and I wouldn't want any less clearance than that has due to heat buildup).

I'm hoping we can drop the drawer down enough but we'll see if the hob ever actually arrives.

• 1 month later...

Our friends have recently finished there build (Turn key )

We had this conversation prior to the hob and sink being fitted 

They have cracks on both 

Quarts company and builder are blaming each other 

End result A near invisible repair to Both island top and sink w top 

They have spent over 600 k and are very unhappy with this

I wouldn’t tighten the clips on any 

We just got our in the other night. The clips on our Samsung hob are spring clips so they just push out. We glued battens to the underside of the worktop on three sides but could not get one in at the back. There is slight movement back and forth but I think a thin bead of silicone will sort that.

Moving the cutlery drawer worked a treat as well. One things I will say about cutting those Zenith worktops, the dust is hellish, really fine and you would not want to breath it in, smells like burnt sugar as well.

image.thumb.png.02853ec2fbc0aec4e8218cc1b16b1426.png

Yeah we opened up the cabinet carcass at the back for a 35mm x 550mm vent gap. There are units backing on to it as it's on an island but there's enough of a gap. The bottom is probably closer to the top of the drawer than I would like but I think it should be fine. The manual does say not to put anything light in the drawer like paper.

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

I wonder if there are enough eddies to warm up the cutlery.

Pacemakers are affected if you get within 60cm. Probably warm up the cutlery with the exhaust fan anyway.