Airtightness

matthyde83

On 06/04/2022 at 21:44, Iceverge said:

I think you need to get another BC. 

What's your detail for the threshold at the rear like?

If only - appointed by the warranty (self build zone) so does warranty and BC.  At the minute to get him there I have to book 2-3 weeks in advance which is an absolute nightmare too!

We have three doors on the back.  2x French doors where the cill is above floor height and 1x sliders that are level threshold.  DPC comes vertical down cavity and under door before stepping the other side.  Sliders have built in drainage on outside.  Terrace sloping away for c.5m.  DPC is 2 bricks above threshold. 

15 hours ago, matthyde83 said:

2x French doors where the cill is above floor height and 1x sliders that are level threshold.  DPC comes vertical down cavity and under door before stepping the other side.  Sliders have built in drainage on outside.  Terrace sloping away for c.5m.  DPC is 2 bricks above threshold. 

Do you have any diagram?

Perhaps your BC will accept manafacturers instructions?

• 2 weeks later...

So this gets even better… we’ve spent the past week getting XPS and cavity tray in. 80% of the way around and building inspector comes back today.  

On second inspection he now agrees that the cavity tray will do more harm than good.  Suggested not bothering where we haven’t done it already.  In one area he’s suggested cutting it and lapping it up the inside of the exterior wall and in another he’s suggested piercing it with holes so that it drains. 

I am absolutely furious.  With XPS and labour I reckon it’s cost the best part of £5k-£6k and basically he now thinks it’s pointless.  

On 02/01/2022 at 13:39, Iceverge said:

Bifolds. "Sucks through teeth..........."

It can be done. Greenbuildings store achieved 0.18ACH with https://lacunaofdenmark.com/en/lacuna-folding-doors/ . I imagine they're pricey however. 

However MOST of them are tragic. if you can live with french doors or tilt and sliders instead it'll be much much cheaper and perform better.  Sliding or brush seals belong in the bin. Compression seals X 3 for every opening. 

Well my bifolds had no leaks at all and have compression seals all round, so it can be done. Mine were made by the same firm that made my windows and front door (insulated). They are oak and they use a  German company to supply the mechanisms they have used many times with success. They were not overly expensive either.

On 06/04/2022 at 21:44, Iceverge said:

I think you need to get another BC. 

Are you sure this isn't an option? Maybe consult the warranty provider and discuss. I feel your pain however. 😞

1 hour ago, joe90 said:

Well my bifolds had no leaks at all and have compression seals all round, so it can be done. Mine were made by the same firm that made my windows and front door (insulated). They are oak and they use a  German company to supply the mechanisms they have used many times with success. They were not overly expensive either.

That's nice to hear. Might you have any geeky close up pics of the seals + mechanisms that differentiate the good from the bad? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Iceverge said:

Are you sure this isn't an option? Maybe consult the warranty provider and discuss. I feel your pain however. 😞

That's nice to hear. Might you have any geeky close up pics of the seals + mechanisms that differentiate the good from the bad? 

Im in the process of making a complaint and requesting he never darkens my (yet to exist) door again but await how successful I’ll be.  Positively he’s not now back until roof at least and we’re just tearing out the cavity tray and XPS so the beads can go all the way to the bottom of the cavity. 

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Iceverge said:

Might you have any geeky close up pics of the seals + mechanisms that differentiate the good from the bad? 

Sure, all top hung and fixed to a concrete lintel, compression seals all round .

F536EB42-DD95-492C-9B8F-18682DC2DEBE.jpeg

678176B9-4F72-4E80-BB83-7F78CA22F6E7.jpeg

• Like 1