Disposal of Bricks

richo106

Hi 

Early next year we are planning to be removing a couple of garden walls and also some internal walls of our bungalow ready for our extension 

We will have quite a few tonnes of brick waste

Are we ok to fill a skip with the waste? Or I don't mind doing trips to a tip over a few months? 

One other option would be to hire a crusher but we are not keen on using 'recycled' hardcore as part of our new concrete slab

Just wondered how people managed to dispose of their waste bricks/concrete

Many Thanks

If the bricks come out clean stack them and advertise on Freegle or similar. Lose the mortar in the over site.

Why not keen on using recycled stuff? It's eco friendly for a start. If you forget the diesel for the crusher, the lorry taking it away etc ?

14 minutes ago, richo106 said:

had it in my head that you couldn't use hardcore recycled from your site for a concrete slab base (for the house) as it would be classed as ungraded 

Never heard that before, but if you loose the motar and crap (just bricks) then you have graded it ?‍♂️. Spend a few days with a sledge hammer, cheap as chips!

1 hour ago, richo106 said:

Are we ok to fill a skip with the waste? Or I don't mind doing trips to a tip over a few months? 

My local council tip limits hardcore disposal to a single 130 litre bin per day or call it 100 to 200 kg per day. You would not want to load the boot of a regular car with more than that.

A 10m run of double skinned garden wall 1m high = 60 x 10 x 2 = 1200 bricks = about 2.5 tons or call 10 to 15 runs to the tip.

It sounds like you will need a skip or grabber lorry (can grabber lorries pick up bricks?).

The problem with a skip will be picking it up when filled with hardcore.

The last time I costed this out the economic cross over point from skip to grabber was 4 tons.

Given the considerable costs of buying new building materials, waste collection and disposal - plus transport to and from site, I always look at stuff being demolished as an opportunity for up-cycling into exciting new projects. Especially bricks which are often a doddle to re-use. Can you not think of a future use for them should they prove to be relatively easy to dismantle and clean up?

They're building half a dozen detached mansions on the old golf course club house site near me. Had a huge crusher in and all the old brickwork, tiles and concrete went through it to be used as over site I believe. Tidy job. 

I thought such re-use ticked a box?

Thank you very much for the comments

I will definitely be recycling them now, I can use them as oversite before the builders create our new concrete slab

Currently the bungalow has 700-1000mm void under the floorboards and the plan is to have a new slab throughout with insulation, UFH pips etc 

Would you recommend hiring a crusher for a few days or would breaking them up with a sledgehammer be ok? 

I'm guessing the crusher will save a lot of time!

The crusher is really noisy. You might drop a few bottles round to the neighbours beforehand! ?

@Gone West on here pretty much dismantled his bungalow on his own and Freegled etc loads of stuff and people took it! He also hired a crusher. Can't remember how much but he produced a bloody great pile to spread around.

You might salvage timbers for a later workshop build etc. 

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

The crusher is really noisy. You might drop a few bottles round to the neighbours beforehand! ?

@Gone West on here pretty much dismantled his bungalow on his own and Freegled etc loads of stuff and people took it! He also hired a crusher. Can't remember how much but he produced a bloody great pile to spread around.

You might salvage timbers for a later workshop build etc. 

We cleaned all the bricks, it was only soft lime mortar, and Freegled them along with the timber. I put a bit on here about it.

• Like 1