Oil delivery meter

Several times over the past 13 years I've been suspicious that we've not had all the heating oil we paid for actually delivered. Does anyone sell a gauge that fits in the neck of the tank that measures whats actually put in the tank? 

Much easier to calculate the volume of tank and make a dip stick.

anything that obstructs the filling flow will cause problems.

ifyoudont believe the delivery truck gauge get them to put 20 litres into a container where you know the level.

highly unlikely a reputable retailer will be fiddling the meter.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

as in a flow meter rather than a contents gauge? Both are possible, but how will the oilman connect his dispense head leak-free to a flow meter?

Yes an integrating flow meter.

I was thinking of something mounted in a tube that fits into the neck of the tank so there is still a pipe for the oilman to stick his nozzle into. 

One problem with measuring volume is that the density of the liquid changes with temperature.

The UK has only just started to fit temperature compensation to transport fuel pumps. 

Nice to know, for the same price, I get a few kWh extra energy in the winter.

You may be able to get an ultrasonic flow meter, but probably expensive and not that reliable.

The best way is load sensors on the feet of the storage tank. Then you can calculate from the specific energy density, correctly.

We should really but fuel by the kg or MJ, not volume.

Edited by SteamyTea
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, markc said:

Much easier to calculate the volume of tank and make a dip stick.

anything that obstructs the filling flow will cause problems.

ifyoudont believe the delivery truck gauge get them to put 20 litres into a container where you know the level.

highly unlikely a reputable retailer will be fiddling the meter.

Problem is most modern plastic tanks are bunded so not easy to measure the internal dimensions. This also relies on you knowing the starting level.

I dipped my tank 10 days ago and calculated 1500 l would just fit in. 1500L delivered today. Dipped tank again and surprised at how low the level is. 

Just annoys me I can't measure it more accurately.

1 minute ago, Temp said:

Problem is most modern plastic tanks are bunded so not easy to measure the internal dimensions

And often not a nice cube, but oval in cross section. 

I would have thought that the tanker guage was calibrated and had an up to date certificate.

11 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

And often not a nice cube, but oval in cross section. 

I would have thought that the tanker guage was calibrated and had an up to date certificate.

Thing is I'm not always there when a delivery occurs. I've heard it's possible to put say 900L into a customers tank then put the nozzle into the tankers filler and pump 100L through the meter back into the tanker. Generating a receipt for the 1000L ordered.. Then at the end of the day the driver put 100L or whatever he's creamed off into his own tank on the way back to the yard. Perhaps it can'/tdoesn't happen but I'd like more confidence.