More screed questions

Jilly

We had the screed laid onto the UFH pipes last week and it went well (I'd been a bit nervous about it all!).

I had hoped to tile under the kitchen and bathroom furniture but have realised that leaving the correct time for the screed to dry will seriously delay things, so one solution is to put the units in and the floor can still dry underneath if we leave the plinth off (assume the screed can dry under the little legs?).

What do people usually do? Any other suggestions?

You can either do that Or give it Ten days and tile under the units and bath 

There’s very little chance of problems in areas that arnt walked on 

The majority of commercial jobs that I tile have not been down long enough to fully dry Its very rarely practical 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

And put a couple of small desk fans in there, running 24/7 and oscillating, to keep the air from stagnating under the units. 

Exactly 

Its so important to keep the air moving 

No heat 

• 1 month later...

The screed seems dry now (it was onto an old uneven concrete floor so ranges from 40mm to 75mm in places. It probably needs a bit longer. I am thinking about chancing it and not using a decoupling membrane and tiling the bathroom floor as I feel comfortable with the risk of cracking there as it's small and we can get on with the bathroom installation. which will really move things on. 

However, if it's a wet messy business and we use flexible waterproof adhesive and grout, will the floor now not be able to dry out? Will this happen whatever?

Normal recommendation is to allow about 1 day per mm thickness. Think you are at about 45 days? How thick is it in the bathroom and can you remember if the screed was very wet when it went down?