Question about kingspan

Mike_scotland

I think we self builders are a fussy lot and expect others to have the same standards as we do, which unfortunately is very rare. I was very lucky, my main contractor was as fussy as me (plus the fact I was on site all the time to keep a wary eye on them ?)

Just now, joe90 said:

I think we self builders are a fussy lot and expect others to have the same standards as we do, which unfortunately is very rare. I was very lucky, my main contractor was as fussy as me (plus the fact I was on site all the time to keep a wary eye on them ?)

yeah they have been pretty good so far(as far as i know) but we do go up quite alot and he welcomes us on site... i will change my opinion if he ever says you cant come on site without a chaperone haha

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Mike_scotland said:

i spoke with the BCO, he wants photographs which i have and send them over... but he doesnt seem like he wants to get too involved, but he will give his opinion anyway, but unless he is stevie wonder hes surerly seeing what were all seeing. 20mm gaps at places haha

The BCO should tell the builder to do it right. It’s his job to make sure the build satisfies all regulations including those relating to thermal efficiency.

4 hours ago, saveasteading said:

Gaps are completely unacceptable. Building Inspector will understand and agree, but may not wish to be involved in your contract dispute.

Damage is careless and a concern re standards throughout, but barely affects the insulation level.

If you allow the use of foam spray fill, will you trust them to get it to full thickness yet not fill the void? I would be concerned re their attitude and attention to detail.

There is no reason to expect that your builder will understand the science of insulation. Sometimes they just have to be told. I have many a story on this, but not now.

With all due respect - this is not a contract dispute. It’s bad workmanship which does not comply with the Regulations.

The spray foam is just a sticking plaster and should be avoided.

19 minutes ago, ETC said:

The spray foam is just a sticking plaster and should be avoided.

I disagree, a sticking plaster is temporary, spray foam is permanent and I have used it in places to seal the thermal envelope.

3 minutes ago, joe90 said:

A SAP assessor does not look inside a build, you just specify what’s in there (whether it’s full of holes or not ?‍♂️)

should i tell him its 400mm kingspan haha! get a A rating. ?

Edited by Mike_scotland