FENSA Rules

Gone West

Just a quick one or three, what are the regulations relating to replacement windows?

1. Am I allowed to replace a window in my own house or should I employ a FENSA window fitter?

2. Do the window and the fitter both have to have a FENSA certificate.

3. Does BC have to be involved.

The last time I did this sort of thing was back in the 90s and I just bought some windows and fitted them, but then that was the good olde days.

6 minutes ago, markc said:

Anyone can fit or replace windows and BC would not be interested.

if the building is listed then it’s a matter of design and materials but not who fits them

That's great, so what's all the FENSA nonsense about then? When I sold my last house the solicitors wanted FENSA certificates, until I pointed out it was a new house.

Solicitors always “want” certificates to dot the I’s and cross the T’s and cover their ars#&£.

but in reality the certificate isn’t worth the paper it’s written on.

yes buy from a reputable supplier who will probably be registered but I haven’t had a door or window installed by anyone else in 20 years.

• Thanks 1

All that FENSA registration means, is that the installer/supplier replacing the windows can self certify that windows meet building regs. You do not need to be FENSA registered to replace, it just means that you need to get the building officer to inspect and certify the work and issue certificate. It's not required but if you go to sell at a later date, the purchaser will want money off if lender puts a retention on for example.

Just because the windows meet building regs, doesn't mean you have a good installer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When I bought my house, my solicitor got very hung up on the replacement front door not having a FENSA certificate. It had been in 8 years.

I went and found, for a few quid, an indemnity policy to cover it. This was not good enough for my solicitor. So to move things on I bought through them  at over twice the price.

Now, 16 years later, and that one door, is 24 years old.

Would I need, or whoever wants to buy the house, a certificate or indemnity insurance?

1 hour ago, craig said:

You do not need to be FENSA registered to replace, it just means that you need to get the building officer to inspect and certify the work and issue certificate.

So BC would want me to apply to them to replace my windows myself and then they would issue a certificate.

As far as I am aware, BC are involved if other building works are taking place including windows, if not they would prefer you had 

Fensa get involved. Frankly I would just get on and do it, who is to know as long as you don’t want to sell soon?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gone West said:

So BC would want me to apply to them to replace my windows myself and then they would issue a certificate.

No, just to check meets regs and issue certificate but just get on with it as @joe90 says and is also my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1