RED (Renewable energy devices) ASHP Brand?

ashthekid

Has anyone ever heard of this brand of air source heat pump?

They look a little bit like a Darlick compared to other units.

I cannot find any reviews anywhere online but one of my heating/plumbing quotes has really pushed to use this brand and on paper it sounds good.

Anyone had any experience?

4B6805B4-7D86-48D6-BB98-28B0A779BAF0.png

Very well thought out and engineered, but pricey and their package includes a (very clever) zone control system that uses variable speed pumps, and a variant of the Harlequin Heatstream thermal store. I'd contend they were more suited to small schools/ nursing homes and the like when cascaded.

their design engineer is a clever bod, and great for a chat tho...

I had them quote me as I was interested in using a local product,  but they were unwilling to offer the ASHP without the zone system which would have necessitated a totally different plumbing cheme to what I'd already preinstalled.

In a different situation then yes, I quite possibly would have gone with them.  If you're interested, call them up for a chat but make sure to have your heat calculations, number of zones etc to hand as it'll get technical...  There is no doubt that a lot of thought has gone into the design to eek the best efficiency out, and they certainly are well built.

3 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

I agree they do look kind of weird but sure it would take up less room in your garden. 

My though is they have a big hole in the top for the fan.  So even when idle rainwater is going to fall in.  I would want to see what is inside that "wet" space that might corrode and fail. and how they have protected the workings inside.

A normal ASHP has air inlet on the back and outlet on the front, and very little rain enters at all, and even if it does it is just the evaporator that gets wet. 

3 minutes ago, ProDave said:

A normal ASHP has air inlet on the back and outlet on the front, and very little rain enters at all, and even if it does it is just the evaporator that gets wet. 

Commercial units are invariably horizontal evaporator not vertical, and they last for decades and usually on top of buildings in some pretty harsh weather. There is a lot of background data for them to be able to draw on in this space. 

There is a school of thought that the vertical fan designs are quieter too but it depends on how the cowls surround the fan blades as the sound can be altered by the gap between the end of the blades and the cowl, tip speed and a whole host of other factors. 

2 minutes ago, ProDave said:

My though is they have a big hole in the top for the fan.  So even when idle rainwater is going to fall in. 

If rain water can fall onto the radiator, then the chances of frosting up are significantly increased.  Liquid water, at 0.01°C takes 4.2174 kJ.kg-1.K-1 and then 334 kJ.kg-1 to turn to ice.

Gaseous water takes 227.2 kJ.kg-1.

So water only takes 338 kJ.kg-1 to turn to ice.

Water vapour takes 565 kJ.kg-1 to turn to ice.

So at a fixed energy extraction, you can run the ASHP for almost 70% longer if no liquid water is hitting the radiator.

• 1 year later...

I was looking around at various manufacturers and their methodology regards managing Delta T and optimisation of ASHP.  This video from RED is very informative about their approach and how they control all the circulation pumps individually to ensure the perfect Delta T across the whole system and hence deliver maximum efficiency.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DSxhgVEuFs

19 Minutes in for the section on control.

Also they have been invested in/purchased by octopus energy which to me is a good sign.

https://octopus.energy/press/octopus-energy-invests-in-northern-irish-heat-pump-experts-to-build-thousands-of-heat-pumps-a-month/ 

https://www.current-news.co.uk/news/octopus-energy-acquires-heat-pump-manufacturer-red-in-move-to-create-model-t-moment-for-sector

It looks to me ( a bit of a novice) that if you want a system that is planned and executed really well this might be a good option.  Too late for me, I have a Vaillant with it's completely opaque and difficult to understand system :)