When is "4 metres" not 4000mm?

When it's a carpet.

We bought 2 carpets to DIY fit to the 2 main bedrooms.  Both rooms are a little under 4 metres by 5 metres.  Brilliant.  4 metre wide rolls of carpet cut to the length we need.

All fine on the first room, a rectangle room with 1 doorway.

Come to our bedroom, the entrance doorway, the en-suite doorway, the doorway out to (eventually) a balcony and the doorway to the plant room /workshop.  This last doorway was opposite the entrance doorway and I had measured 4000mm would do it, but it would be tight.

So roll out the carpet, jiggle it into position so there is just enough for the carpet to reach the mid point of where the entrance door closes so the carpet joiner strip will sit under the door.  Go to the plant room door, which is recessed into the door frame as it opens into the plant room, and the carpet ends about 20mm short of the door.

Oh dear.  Get the tape measure out.  Yep, 4000mm would do it, but the carpet is not 4000mm wide.  the "4 metre" carpet i had been sold is in fact 13 feet wide

SWMBO says I should have gone back to the carpet shop and said "we bought a 4 metre wide carpet and it is not 4 metres wide, change it please"

I took a more pragmatic solution.  Most of the hassle fitting a carpet is emptying the room.  Even if they would take it back and make it wider it would be a lot of delay and hassle.

The workshop will never be carpeted.  I just had to find a way to "finish" the carpet in a way that looks like it was planned all along.  So I start looking for Oak joining strips and came to Howdens who had a wide blank Oak threshold strip that would do the job nicely:

Oak_threshold1.thumb.JPG.a427d5befcf2c944aded766b80a80ef1.JPG

Oak_threshold2.thumb.JPG.9d6f20753df37bf2f96d91658efce5ca.JPG

Had I not told the storey of metric Vs imperial carpet how many would guess that was not a well planned design feature?

P.S.  Sorry about poor pictures, it was nut until I had pulled them off the camera I realised how poor they were.

20 hours ago, ProDave said:

The workshop will never be carpeted.  I just had to find a way to "finish" the carpet in a way that looks like it was planned all along.  So I start looking for Oak joining strips and came to Howdens who had a wide blank Oak threshold strip that would do the job nicely:

Mando Way This Is The Way GIF - Mando Way This Is The Way Mandalorian GIFs

• Haha 1