Floor insulation

GrantMcscott

Get whatever services you need put down, eg pipes to a kitchen island or trunking to allow you pull cables later to the island. A gas or electrical feed if you've a free standing fireplace wall, etc. Then you can put the 40mm PIR down and cut around the pipes. Hopefully the insulated pipes will be about the same thickness making it very easy for you. Then the 150mm with fit nicely on top of everything. 

• Like 1

I used Polypipe trays rather than a slip membrane. Makes for a lighter, castellated, slab. Think the tray inside the biscuit tin at Christmas!

It doesn't "ring" quite as dense as a solid, full depth slab does but it's strengthened by A142 mesh

2021-11-11_09-26-25.thumb.jpg.8e92da1817fbb3fa5a73d8341187c0e0.jpg

2021-11-11_09-26-41.thumb.jpg.53ca90f45250da7760b3dc4a2baf9eb8.jpg

2021-11-11_09-31-30.thumb.jpg.0630499d336d834512556c37614e082c.jpg

2021-11-11_09-31-41.thumb.jpg.2733378fca8318685a07939afd3676d1.jpg

Thank God I put the mesh in as I forgot to add the fibres in when I mixed the concrete. I used wet concrete btw, not screed. Tamped level using screed rails attached to the stud walls.

• Like 1

Good photos onoff!

For all. Screeds and concrete shrinks.

It cost pennies to do but where you have an internal corner just drop in diagonal bar, even if it is a poured self levelling screed or a screed with fibres.

Even with fibres (plastic firbre ones definitley, steel fibres a bit less) you can still get crack development.. and this can cause you to worry that you have stretched your UF heating pipes.

image.png.f214c949bac18919772d2a4643d1778e.png

• Like 1

If you aluminium covered PIR insulation, you need to separate from concrete, as it forms it forms harmful gases.

Aluminum reacts with the alkalis (OH) found in portland cement concrete. When these two chemicals are combined, the reaction produces hydrogen gas. This is why, when the reaction occurs in wet concrete, you'll notice tiny bubbles coming to the surface of a slab.

Use a thin DPM to separate.

IMG_20201117_100526.jpg

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Gus Potter said:

Good photos onoff!

For all. Screeds and concrete shrinks.

It cost pennies to do but where you have an internal corner just drop in diagonal bar, even if it is a poured self levelling screed or a screed with fibres.

Even with fibres (plastic firbre ones definitley, steel fibres a bit less) you can still get crack development.. and this can cause you to worry that you have stretched your UF heating pipes.

image.png.f214c949bac18919772d2a4643d1778e.png

Should that be a piece of actual re-bar?

12 hours ago, Gus Potter said:
13 hours ago, Onoff said:

Should that be a piece of actual re-bar?

Yes.

And tied with wire to the mesh, so that it stays tight to the mesh, and doesn't  get displaced or even lost.

This is really important to avoid big cracks from a corner to the nearest edge.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

And tied with wire to the mesh, so that it stays tight to the mesh, and doesn't  get displaced or even lost.

This is really important to avoid big cracks from a corner to the nearest edge.

I was not planning on putting any re-bar in my floor as did not think it needed it and the underfloor heating pipes would give the screed the support

the biggest area we have is 70 m2 I will be using GYPSOL Calcium Sulfate based flowing Floor Screed CA-C25-F5 or CEMFLOOR Cement based flowing Floor Screed CT-C25-F5

Edited by GrantMcscott

On 12/11/2021 at 08:52, GrantMcscott said:

The company that is going to do the screed for mw has given me 2 options 

GYPSOL Calcium Sulfate based flowing Floor Screed CA-C25-F5

or

CEMFLOOR Cement based flowing Floor Screed CT-C25-F5

Not sure what one is better to use

Second option sounds better 4 me

• Like 1